Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-19-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Official High Boltage Thread (SD-Indy)

[ QUOTE ]
True. The Pats had a good run. Yes, I said “had.”

the patriots are designed to be good for the long term. picture the steelers of the past 10 years, with a steady presence at QB. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt they are still good. But teams like the Colts and the future (maybe 2 more years) Bengals have elevated their game to another level. The Pats are now on a slight downswing from that level which just won’t cut it in the AFC.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the patriots are designed to be good for the long term. picture the steelers of the past 10 years, with a steady presence at QB. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt they are still good. But teams like the Colts and the future (maybe 2 more years) Bengals have elevated their game to another level. The Pats are now on a slight downswing from that level which just won’t cut it in the AFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

the patriots downswing is the result of HUGE losses due to injury not bad signings and bad drafts which are usually the cause of teams falling from grace. also, can we note that despite being crippled by injurys they will likely win 10 games and 11 is a strong possibilty.

yes, i know the division they play in is weak.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:47 PM

Even if this statement were true, and I believe it isn't, I won't feel too distraught about the Pats not winning a Superbowl for a while. I've got 3 i can look back on.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and your evidence for the Patriots 'downwing' is...?? do you really think the Patriots wouldn't be 12-2 or 11-3 if it wasn't for the injuries?

With another year of the new coaches, and an injury situation that will almost certainly be better, the Patriots will probably be better next year.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 PM

I wasn’t putting them down. I just think that the next few years will be dominated by the Colts and the Bengals, with the Steelers & Pats staying strong but not being able to beat the Colts & Bengals. Nothing personal.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn’t putting them down. I just think that the next few years will be dominated by the Colts and the Bengals, with the Steelers & Pats staying strong but not being able to beat the Colts & Bengals. Nothing personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotcha.

I think you're way too high on the Bengals - they can't stop anyone, and you simply can't dominate w/o a semblance of a defense. They will be good, however.

Re: the Colts, we'll see how much of their team they can keep together, w/ the salary cap looming.

As I already said, I don't see the Patriots being any worse next year - I see them being better, in fact.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotcha.

I think you're way too high on the Bengals - they can't stop anyone, and you simply can't dominate w/o a semblance of a defense. They will be good, however.

Re: the Colts, we'll see how much of their team they can keep together, w/ the salary cap looming.

As I already said, I don't see the Patriots being any worse next year - I see them being better, in fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Bengals need a couple more years to get that D together, but they already get alot of int's.

Yeah, alot depends on the Colts keeping their team together. They say Edge will be back next year, but what else are they supossed to say?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotcha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Bengals need a couple more years to get that D together, but they already get alot of int's.

Yeah, alot depends on the Colts keeping their team together. They say Edge will be back next year, but what else are they supossed to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

int's aren't nec. the best way to judge a D. the offense has scored a ton of points, giving them leads, forcing the opposition to throw a lot of passes.

re: the salary cap, you'll get hit with a lot of role player losses that add up. The Patriots have been lucky/good enough to replace their losses with very capable guys in the draft/cheap free agency.

examples:

Damien Woody > Dan Koppen

Ted Washington > Vince Wilfork

Bobby Hamilton > Ty Warren

Lawyer Milloy > Rodney Harrison

The secondary is the weak point on this team, and ironically the Pats have usually done a good job drafting/signing here. Randall Gay was solid last year (now hurt), Gus Scott looked good (now hurt), and Ty Poole is good (but hurt).

The Pats have been fortunate enough that they have few 'superstars' that demand huge money. Edge is going to want big money, Peyton already gets ginormous money, and I forget what Harrison's situation is, but I don't think he is/will stay cheap. Somebody will give Reggie Wayne big money. ditto for a guy like Dallas Clark...once guys get rings (IF the Colts win a ring [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) your players become more attractive.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

int's aren't nec. the best way to judge a D. the offense has scored a ton of points, giving them leads, forcing the opposition to throw a lot of passes.

re: the salary cap, you'll get hit with a lot of role player losses that add up. The Patriots have been lucky/good enough to replace their losses with very capable guys in the draft/cheap free agency.

examples:

Damien Woody > Dan Koppen

Ted Washington > Vince Wilfork

Bobby Hamilton > Ty Warren

Lawyer Milloy > Rodney Harrison

The secondary is the weak point on this team, and ironically the Pats have usually done a good job drafting/signing here. Randall Gay was solid last year (now hurt), Gus Scott looked good (now hurt), and Ty Poole is good (but hurt).

The Pats have been fortunate enough that they have few 'superstars' that demand huge money. Edge is going to want big money, Peyton already gets ginormous money, and I forget what Harrison's situation is, but I don't think he is/will stay cheap. Somebody will give Reggie Wayne big money. ditto for a guy like Dallas Clark...once guys get rings (IF the Colts win a ring [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) your players become more attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can't really argue with any of that, even though I know that's what the internet is for. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It will be fun to watch... or not.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Manning is signed to what looks like a huge deal, but its not like he isn't going to be renogotiating it when it starts to effect the cap. Harrison is already signed, as well as Stokley ( who for some reason got a deal before wayne [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ).
Edge is probably going to go elsewhere, unless they franchise him again.
Wayne is definitely going to get big offers from teams with a need at WR if they let him get to the open market. If they let it get that far, I don't think they'll be able to sign him because someone is going to step up with the peerless price style desperation offer.
Freeny is locked up for one more year. No way they let him get anywhere near free agency, and it isn't going to be cheap to keep a guy who has arguably had the best start to a career of any pass rusher ever.

The Colts are going to have to get really creative to keep this together, but Polian is as good as any GM in the league and that ought to be able to keep things going in the right direction.