Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 AM

Default % Finishing in the Money

I noticed that the poker tracker version for tournaments has a column named

% Finished in the Money ...

One average what percentage of the time is a good player making the money on typical mutli table tournaments?

ie.) a good player makes 2-3 bb an hour but in terms of tournaments ...
Old 12-09-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: % Finishing in the Money

ITM% is irrelevant, but I think something like 15% is pretty good long term (?)
Old 12-09-2005, 04:36 AM

There are people with less than 10% ITM who are substantial winners, and there are players with over 20% who are losers. ITM is an ok statistic, but it really won't give you a sense of their earnings. Most good players tend to have around 15% ITM. I'm a donkey so mine is about 12-13%.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:46 AM

i don't totally understand though, aren't many tournaments different with respect to prize structures??

or the more i think about it, is it usually 10% win prizes? so that's what you'd benchmark your 15% ITM against?? in which case, most of us should be quite a bit better as there are some seriously bad players in tournaments. like calling all-in with A3o (huh????)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 PM

calling an allin with A3o isn't always a bad thing.

ROI is more important than ITM. it's far better to get one first place than alot of barely in the money finishes.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:45 PM

ROI is more important.

I don't use Poker Tracker. Does ITM categorize by the Buy-in? If not, I think that percentage is meaningless. I could have 99 losses in A 5+1 MTT and a final table in a 600+40. My ITM would be 1% but but my ROI would be pretty good.

Conversely, I could make the money 99 time in a 5+1 (basically return of buy-in) and one loss in a 600+40. ITM is 99% but ROI sucks.

These are extremes examples but you get the idea.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or the more i think about it, is it usually 10% win prizes? so that's what you'd benchmark your 15% ITM against?? in which case, most of us should be quite a bit better as there are some seriously bad players in tournaments. like calling all-in with A3o (huh????)

[/ QUOTE ]

So how high a ITM % do you think you should have?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Over my Last 30 mtt's since the 1st of Nov roughly, 20%FIM, 207.88% RoI...which required a 3rd place final in a RB event. All above on Stars only.

However all my tourn data from PP/empire is screwed up. NONE of my mtt's show up properly with the buy-in amounts. Hence no RoI...but over 64 mtts there 21.88% ITM. This period also shows one 3rd, two 2nds, and one 1st.

I presume my screwup was improper importing of the tourn data from PP which didnt inlude buy-ins and definitions of mtt's as such. So no telling what my true roi was there.

Kinda small sample with close to 100 tournys combined from the two sites. But it does appear consistent on the ITM #s.

Whats this all mean? Hell I dunno. I think, it means I consistently go deep, getting small profits, with those occasional FT's. I probably dont have enuf gamble in me to make more FT's with the risk of sooner bustouts. Lower variance, fewer big scores.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 PM

I dont think you can estimate this accuratley because every tournament is different in terms of buy-ins, players registered, places paid, etc.. This is unless of course you play the 20-30 player MTTS.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM

I play only party 3 tables for now and over a small sample (200) my ITM5 is around 40. I'm thinking that the sustainable percentage is closer to 30%. And I think my current ROI is in the low 60s for the time being.

I agree with the statement that ITM in big multis is no where near as important as ITM in mult SNGs and ROI in general.