Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Smokeless Tobacco, Chewing Tobacco

Background: (Skip to the next paragraph for the tobacco question) I am going to be doing a lot of studying tonight and I cannot smoke in my room. Normally I have some Nicorette to get me thrugh it because it is a pain in the ass to step outside all the time. I am out of nicorette and there is no where close to here to buy some.

I picked up a can of Skoal, long cut. I've been using it by putting a glob between my gum and lip sucking at it. Do people actually chew skoal, or is there a different type of tobacco for chewing? I beleive skoal is considered "moist snuff" and not "chewing tobacco", but I might be wrong. Does anyone use smokeless tobacco, and what kind/which way do you use it?

TONY
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Smokeless Tobacco, Chewing Tobacco

Be a man.

Chew it, suck it, swallow it.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 PM

Tony,

There's a big difference between Skoal/Cope and real chewing tobacco. Chewing tobacco is like Redman, and comes in big pouches. You throw a huge handful of that crap in and gnaw on it. It doesn't burn like skoal/cope has a tendency to do.

Long cut/mid cut/snuff is, as far as I'm aware, actually cut with pieces of fiberglass in it. You don't even need to bother sucking on it, the nicotine absorbs through your gum/lip and voila, a nicotine buzz. You're not swallowing the spit, right? I assume you've got yourself a bottle, and you're spittin into that, or somesuch. The only time you should really need to manipulate the dip is when you move it around a bit to get the moister stuff from the inside... other than that, throw it in and leave it be.

When I smoked, I dipped when I couldnt smoke, and found the buzz to be a bit much at times. I dipped skoal straight long cut. Couldnt stand snuff, or any of the mid cuts. Bleh. I've since quit.

The only worry about dip is that its remarkably addictive. Moreso than cigarettes. People I've know that had smoked, and then taken up dipping, cautioned against starting, because its harder to quit than smoking is. And, as we've covered in OOT before, smoking is supposedly harder to quit than heroin... or somethin. Tangentially, I found it easier to quit smoking than to quit doing coke. Whatever.

yasher
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 PM

You shouldn't be chewing Skoal. Like you said it is moist snuff so just throw it inbetween your lip and gum and spit when necessary. It you want actually chew pick up some Red-man or Beechnut, take a big wad, stick in you mouth and chew on it. Almost everyone I know has gotten sick off their first few chews or at least gotten dizzy. Since you're a smoker you might be fine. BTW I would recommend Grizzly Straight or Wintergreen for good, cheap chew.

Looks like Yasher beat me to it
Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 PM

Just smoke in your room. Use paper towel roll stuffed with bounce sheets. Old school but it really works.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 PM

A very good crimson challenge actually, would be to eat a tin of skoal or copenhagen and keep it down for 30 minutes.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 PM

Yasher,

Thanks for all the info. It was impossible to get anything on Google as every search brought up 12,000 anti-tobacco sites.

I can't beleive what a nicotine rush it is. I can see how it would be easy to get addicted to this, and I won't allow myself to dip more than a day consecutively.

I'm not sure if I buy the theory that there is fiberglass in it. that seems a lot like the claim that cigarettes are made with embalming fluid.

thanks
TONY

Edit: Thanks to you as well, checkraise

[ QUOTE ]
A very good crimson challenge actually, would be to eat a tin of skoal or copenhagen and keep it down for 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone in their right mind would try that. I suppose some old guys who have been chewing for 50 years might be able to do it but there is no way anyone else does. My buddies dad made him do this when we were kids and he threw up before he could finish half the tin, also made him feel like total [censored] for the rest of the day.

Please elaborate. Never heard of this one before.

xadrez,

I had buddies in the service that would go through a tin of cope snuff in 4 dips, and never spit. I don't think that even they could have pulled off that crimson challenge. If someone could get through the whole can, I'd be impressed, puking or not. But there'd have to be some rider about having to chew each bite.

edited to include:

p***rchip,

paper towel/toilet paper roll, packed with dryer sheets. you inhale whatever you're smoking, and blow it out through the contraption. supposedly the scent is that of the dryer sheets. when i was in high school, i knew people that did this. they called em "blowies," go figure. i never used one, so i dont know if they work.

yasher