Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-30-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: 400bb overbet (complete LC brag)

I don't think your flop raise is so bad if you think he'll play back at you with less than AK here, or if you think a large raise (a potsize raise over a halfpot bet will always be seen as a massive overbet) will make him slow down and perhaps eventually fold AA whereas a small raise will entice him to come over the top. However, if you're concerned about a flush draw, as evidenced by your flat call on the turn, you need to raise more on the flop. In fact, the way you played the turn is the worst part considering the rest of the hand. Are you going to flat call a nonpairing river too? A free heart falling on the river destroys you, you can only call small bets, and you can't bet for value. Need to play this hand faster on the earlier streets, just in case the river doesn't give you the second nuts to play with.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoops, while im typing I realised he reraised us preflop and if he isnt a donk, he wouldnt do that with AQ suited so he cant have a flush (unless he thought we were on a steal)

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that you cant reraise with AQs here. Its not my standard play, but Ive been known to rr opens with hands like AQs, esp if I think hero (if I am villain is raising light). Also, do you NEVER reraise with hands like 10js, 78s?? I dont think its out of the realm of possibility for villain to have a flush in a hand like this (esp if villain bets big on the turn)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if i raise and face a push on the turn i have to gouge out my eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you're perfectly willing to stick it all in on the river when you don't improve...

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying hypothetically i would? i don't get your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, reraising the turn and facing a push and reraising river all in are two different things. If you reraise and are pushed against, you are more likely to be behind (Bayesian reasoning) whereas if you reraise river all in, there is no (additional) reason to think you are behind because you have garnered no additional information (besides his super weak lead which I have disregarded in my anaylsis, though it does tell us more about his hand).

Still, the two situations are quite different.

Edit: I see now river made him a boat, for arguments sake let us say that it did not.