Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-15-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Not afraid to lose

Poker is a game of incomplete information. Decisions that made are all relative; in some cases, two pair can be very strong, whereas some other times even a flush is a weak hand! Just because you have a "good" hand, (ie JJ) preflop, does not mean it will be the "best" hand at the moment. Just because you have a marginal one, at the same time, ie QT on a queen high board, doesn't mean you dont have your opponent in a world of hurt.

I make very marginal decisions at the table, and really, I'm only upset at myself when I dont carry forth with my judgement. If I'm not bankrolled for a game, (and sometimes pure variance makes me practically cry myself to sleep... ok, this is overboard...) then I dont play in the game. Well, I dont anymore.

I was playing 5/5 live a while back when I shouldn't have been, and 5/10 online when I really shouldn't have been. Not because of skills, but because the skills to do something and actually doing it are two entirely different categories.

What's the point of all this? I'm not really sure. To win money, on one hand, from the poker vantage point. If I get trapped or outplayed or lose to a better decision or whatnot, I hope I learn from it, and either avoid it or change my gameplan in the future. But atleast I will have the experience of that mistake.

I haven't really been reading SSNL enough to say things in stereotypical/judgemental tones, but one thing I have noticed is people hold to some ideas like "you cant play a big pot with one pair," or "reraising preflop there is chip spewage!" to far too much esteem. Everything is relative. Sometimes you just need to put your chips out there on a read or equity vantage point, and be happy doing so.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Not afraid to lose

agreed - now that i have a job and can AFFORD to lose money if i get the beats my game has gotten a lot better. i'm not afraid to put my money in there with what i think is the best of it.

if i lose to a better play, or get outdrawn i'll either try to kill any leaks (if i was outplayed) or just roll with the punches (if i was outdrawn).
Old 11-15-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I get trapped or outplayed or lose to a better decision or whatnot, I hope I learn from it, and either avoid it or change my gameplan in the future. But atleast I will have the experience of that mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can take that away from your bad sessions and you are adequately rolled, you're far and away from most poker players. This is what we should all hope to get out of our play and especially this forum
Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 PM

Excellent post! You can't say "There are no hard and fast rules" enough times. I have noticed that as I move up levels I have to adjust to the players and my position. At times, the cards I hold are very important; other times they are irrelevant.

What makes this game so great is that there are many different ways to play the same hand and each way can be correct depending on villain, position or your table image.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Yesterday I had my Aces cracked three times in one hour, so I curled up in a ball, turned up Live @ The Bike, and sobbed myself to sleep.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM

nice post...

i totally agree with the main idea of your post. it is very pertinent to not fall to any hard and fast rules on what can and cant be done. i make a lot of "big" calls and raises based on my reads that i never post because they only makes sense or can be seen as correct in a vacuum.

with that said, i think a lot of the people including myself have a tendency to make too many "big" calls. i think that is the purpose of saying "u cant put that much money in with one pair" of " rr'ing that is lunacy". i agree with what u r saying whole heartedly, but also see that until a players hand reading skills are good enough, it is smart to shy away from these plays...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:00 PM

Very nice post.