Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 01:39 AM

Default \"This is a relay call.\" What the [censored]\'s a relay call?

I just got a phone call, where apparently some douchebag is typing on his computer, and this putz talks to me and tells me what he types. Then, I reply, and he types to douchebag whatever I say. Now, I've never heard of this before, so I'm intrigued enough to go through the whole instructions, and see what's going on.

Anyway, the conversation doesn't last long, because the response to my "Who are you?" question was "Your father-in-law," which is obviously a lie. Somehow he knew my name though, which is kind of, ok, really, scary/weird.

Is this some sort of new phishing scam? I'm disappointed in myself for not keeping this conversation going longer, and seeing what I could find out, but obviously I wasn't thinking. Either way, the fact that someone has both my name and cell phone number, and feels the need to call me through some relay line, and tell me they're my non-existent father-in-law is kind of freaking me out.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: \"This is a relay call.\" What the [censored]\'s a relay call?

I have no idea with this particular call, but a legitimate reason for such a call could be for a person who is unable to speak.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:43 AM

It's for disabled people, but I remember seeing on another forum people using it to prank call. Apparently the operators had to do whatever they were told, so they would get them to say all sorts of weird/semi obscene stuff, then post the mp3.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:44 AM

They do this on Howard Stern sometimes. They either have someone you can't understand do it or they have someone saying something perverted.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They do this on Howard Stern sometimes. They either have someone you can't understand do it or they have someone saying something perverted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can see this. But my first name and phone number? No one who should have this would claim to be my father-in-law, as they would all know I am certainly not married.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can see this. But my first name and phone number? No one who should have this would claim to be my father-in-law, as they would all know I am certainly not married.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess it's one of your friends jerking you around. Who knows. Or maybe its a guy trying to get you to strip down naked and give someone oral because they thought you stole a purse.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Try doing software tech support on one of these. I had a deaf customer who would always call me this way. It was nuts because the woman doing the relay couldn't even understand what either one of us was talking about. Finally I had to practically beg the guy to use e-mail instead.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:10 AM

ip-relay.com, great for awkward prank calls
Old 11-15-2005, 05:54 AM

I used to have a ton of fun with this. I have them make sounds. "MOO MOO BARK RING RING" or "This is me, the operator, talking. I am gay. I love cock."
Old 11-15-2005, 05:57 AM

Sprint Relay Online

They will say anything you type, but if it is of a violent nature they are required to inform the police [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]