Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Confidence Boosting -- 10/20 Hand #3

When I play poker I like playing confidently, and October did a good job of tearing away some confidence so the last few days I have been playing 8-tables of 10/20 6max to regain that necessary swagger, and along with that, analyzing my game more closely. Here is a a checkup hand from those first 3000 hands of playing this game:

3 handed. I call the button's raise with Ks7c from the BB.

Flop Kh 4s 3c. I check and call.

Turn 3h. I bet he raises I call.

Turn 7d. I check he bets I raise.

Assume no reads for this hand or any hands I post, though I am playing 33/23.5/2.0 style and some opponents may or may not be noticing this.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Confidence Boosting -- 10/20 Hand #3

standard.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:04 PM

I like the turn bet only because the board paired so it looks like you are being a retarded donk, and I think you are apt to get some call downs you otherwise wouldnt. Otherwise I just check and hope he bets again as free cards arent that big a concern
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

this is a line i never take. im not sure why. i either cr the flop or turn.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a line i never take.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because it gets you less money against most donks
Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 PM

So you think check/call and leading turn provokes more calldowns/bluffs than checkraising flop? Interesting. My plan is generally either to c/r flop or c/r turn after a flop like this, depending on how likely the villain is to autobet turn (seems fairly likely in the case of an unknown in a 3-handed 10/20 game). So I guess plan A for me would be to checkraise the turn and call down any reraises, consoling myself that he has at most 3 outs if he checks behind. Plan B has always been to c/r flop and keep going but I can see some merit to using your line as well since it looks very donkish.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM

schneider,

I really like the check-call and then donk line with top pair of Aces or Kings, and I got it from you. I like it because everyone always autobets the flop, but many opponents will often check the turn and this line prevents that. also it prevents me from getting three bet on the turn if I c/r and having to fold without a read. a lot of these reasons sound weak though so I'm sure there is more behind it.

I assume you were c/calling the river UI?

however I notice, as Victor has pointed out, that it does not seem to get much love here. so, could you maybe explain your thoughts behind this line?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM

i think a checkcall bet line tells the opponent that you have a pair. and youre not going to fold it on this board. id rather checkraise the flop and hope he tries to move me off my pair of 4s/ace high or oesd.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think a checkcall bet line tells the opponent that you have a pair. and youre not going to fold it on this board. id rather checkraise the flop and hope he tries to move me off my pair of 4s/ace high or oesd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Pretty dry flop for a peel unless u have something like A6/A5/A2...but u might take another route with the A5/A2 hands such as a flop CR.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Hmmm...PF is fine, but I would play this differently post flop. How about one of these lines:

C/R flop, bet turn

or

call flop and C/R turn.

Either of these should win the hand on the turn unless the villain is stubborn or has you dominated.

Given the line you took, I like 3-betting the turn instead of simply calling his raise, and betting any river except a heart (although a river A would really suck).