Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 11:39 PM

Default thinking about going into isolation

Lately I've been having these thoughts or feelings of wanting to get away for awhile. Away from everything I mean.

Right now i'm considering just taking my dog and some books and going camping for 3 weeks. The thought of this is very appealing to me.

The problem as I see it, is that I live in Oregon and its November. How dangerous would this be? And most importantly what kinds of supplies will I need? Would going to an established camp ground be better for something like this?

Any and all thoughts and tips appreciated.

oh yeah i'm really in a banning mood today, so umm try not to suck.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: thinking about going into isolation

First question, Have you been camping at all before?

I don't have help as far as november in the pacific west, but you would be shocked how warm a dry tent and sleeping bag are, not to mention a good campfire.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. If you make a post stating that you are leaving OOT you will be. If you make a poll asking if you should leave OOT, and you lose, you will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In all seriousness. If you live near mt saint helens and that area then I would totally recommend camping in the parks along the columbia river. The view is Amazing and you can take day trips to all the different woodland areas. Also the areas in the opposite direction near the Gorge are really awesome too. Great scenery!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First question, Have you been camping at all before?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the last 10 years. The challenge is a lot of what intrigues me.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM

I should preface my post with the fact that I did all this in the summer and have no cool how balls cold it will be this time of year. then again I think most places you go in the pacific northwest will be that way.

if you are looking for warmth then you are gonna have to travel...dunno if this is an option though.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM

Old 10-30-2005, 11:50 PM

I frequently think about doing something similar, but I don't like the outdoors. What I'd want to do is rent a room in a small town somewhere, and spend a couple of weeks reading and writing.

Maybe some day
Old 10-30-2005, 11:51 PM

Dry is key. If you have the equipment to stay dry, then you can probably stay warm. Most established campgrounds, I would guess (though I'm unfamiliar with the Pacific NW) are closed for the season. As such, camping on state land would probably be, technically, illegal.

I'd try to find somewhere secluded, but not totally isolated. Out of visual and aural range, but actually close to other people. That way, if things go wrong, you aren't far, and if things go right, you'll never see or hear from people.

Also, I imagine the you will get substantial enjoyment from planning such an endeavour, let alone carrying it out. Three weeks of batteries. Three weeks of oil lamp. Clothing appropriate for the coldest weather possible in that region. A mix of healthy simple food. A couple notepads to write in, a few choice books---something new, something old.

If you have the time luxury to do this, and feel the need for isolation, go for it. The equipment is a must, but camping in crappy conditions really isn't that hard.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I frequently think about doing something similar, but I don't like the outdoors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently think about doing the same, and I love the outdoors. Unfortunately I don't live in a good area for it (Kansas), and things always come up to prevent me from going through with it in Colorado.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:54 PM

How about working up to it slowly instead of going into a 3 week trip all at once? Like, sleep in the living room, or don't take a shower for a couple days. Maybe wipe your butt with leaves. The urge may pass quickly.