Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 11:08 PM

Default The Right Nation

Has anyone read this by Micklethwait and Wooldridge? They are two writers for the Economist who explain the history and make up of the conservative movement in America and why in many ways America is a conservative country. It has proven so far to be very fair explaining how Fox News is infact biased but also dispelling many of the conspiracy myths of the left. I think anyone who enjoys following the inner workings of politics would enjoy this book. I was particularly interested in the portions dealing with role of think tanks. Additionally it was enjoyable to learn The Goldwater candidacy and why is was so important to Republican politics.

I've finished the first two parts which so far have been very good and the last section seems to be following suit. It's a bit long at 415 pages but I've been crusing through it.

I think if your a Dynasty or Andy Fox type you would enjoy this book.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: The Right Nation

I have not read the book, but while we are on the topic I would highly recommend "Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus", by Rick Perlstein. Very good work of political history on the origins and rise of the conservative movement in America.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not read the book, but while we are on the topic I would highly recommend "Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus", by Rick Perlstein. Very good work of political history on the origins and rise of the conservative movement in America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey thanks that's awesome because after reading this one I had a strong desire to learn more about Goldwater. I will pick this up and then post my thoughts when done.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. And bringing up Barry G. This is pure anecdote.

His campaign came through my hometown and he made an honest-to-god "whistle stop" speech. I cut out from work to go see him. I've still got 2 campaign buttons. "Goldwater in '64" and "I'm for Goldwater and Miller."

I remember fighting more than a few verbal battles in defense of him and his plans.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 05:39 PM

One of the guys in '64 was a crazy racist right. Was it him. I really wasn't around back then.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of the guys in '64 was a crazy racist right. Was it him. I really wasn't around back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

'64 was Democrats Johnson and Humphrey v. Republicans Goldwater and Miller

Johnson (ole "guns n' butter") was accused of racism in Texas but he's the guy who started the federal welfare program(s) that went straight down the crapper with waste, mis-management, etc.

Goldwater was attacked for his hawk opinions (he was a general in the USAF Reserves), his suggestion that Soc. Sec. needed serious revising and he wanted the US govt. out of the electricity business (TVA). But never racism.

George Wallace, Democrat Alabama Governor, ran in '68 as an independent and was chastised for folks' perception that he was racist. He may or may not have been but he sure wasn't crazy. Just sly as hell.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:18 PM

Maybe it was '68. I dont remember.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
George Wallace, Democrat Alabama Governor, ran in '68 as an independent and was chastised for folks' perception that he was racist. He may or may not have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what a mystery. Here is a quote from Wallace, but I can't figure out what it means: "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever."
Old 10-21-2005, 08:03 PM

I've just bought it and I'm going to read it when I'm finished with "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman!" which I can recommend heartly.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
George Wallace, Democrat Alabama Governor, ran in '68 as an independent and was chastised for folks' perception that he was racist. He may or may not have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what a mystery. Here is a quote from Wallace, but I can't figure out what it means: "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever."

[/ QUOTE ]

The governor was first and foremost a politician. He did and said what was needed to get elected.

LBJ said and did a lot of things early in his career. As he became powerful in the Senate he changed. When he was POTUS he changed even more.

I remember a large number of Black folk speaking out in defense of Wallace. Was he racist? Hell, I don't know. By the quotes you can dig up and actions you can point to, he may very well have been. On the surface it's damning. Was he doing it just to get elected? I don't know. I'm not the one pointing fingers. I simply made a comment and you chose to highlight it.