Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Trip to the bookstore

I decided last night that I spend entirely too much time watching TV without really watching and not enough time reading which I greately enjoy when ever I do so.

I kicked the TV out of my room and took a trip over to Borders where there was a buy 4 get 1 free promo.

I basically went by titles or authors I have heard of here.

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. I've read Survivor and Lullaby and loved both so hopefully this one will follow suit.

Hell's Angels and Songs of the Doomed by Hunter S. Thompson. I've never read any of his books but people made a big deal with he killed himself so I'm hoping I like him as well. I'm a little worried because it looks like he may have quite a different outlook on the world than me but we'll see.

The Gunslinger by Stephen King. I remember the thread here talking about favorite fictional series and this one got some good reviews by posters I like. I've always like King so this seems like a safe pick.

The Right Nation by John Mickethwait and Adrain Woolridge. Got a good review by George Will who I enjoy reading so I'm sure I'll like this one.

Any opinions on these very much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Trip to the bookstore

Hells Angels is a pretty kickass book. When I moved to Oakland I was riding my bike down the street and lo and behold I went right by the Hells Angels hangout that Thompson writes about in his book. It was pretty cool.

I tried to replicate the cool feeling of "I read about this place in a book" by going to Strawberry Canyon in Berkeley. This is referenced in Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Didn't have the same effect as riding by the Hells Angels hangout. I don't think I'm peaceful enough.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:12 PM

yeah great call on the gunslinger. i am jealous you have the entire dark tower series to read for the first time.

invisible monsters is the one paluhniak book i have yet to read. everything with him is pretty hit or miss with me and i have found his books to be pretty uneven.

i am currently reading "magical thinkng" by augusten burroughs. i enjoyed 'running with scissors', and moreso 'dry'. was hoping it would focus more on his advertising career, but it kind of jumps around throughout his life.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:12 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. I've read Survivor and Lullaby and loved both so hopefully this one will follow suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read it but I read the others and thoroughly enjoyed them. I have, however, heard good things about this book from those who introduced me to Lullaby.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 PM

You might not have realized it, but there is a forum in existence for discussion of books. Surely the moderator will be moving your off-topic post soon.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might not have realized it, but there is a forum in existence for discussion of books. Surely the moderator will be moving your off-topic post soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

The books [censored] mentioned are not GAMBLING books.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 PM

Invisible monsters is incredible despite a little to much work by the author to make the plot nice and round.
Flash
I doubt you'll give me dissapointment
Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 PM

1984, Lord of The Rings, Great Expectations, Catcher in the Rye, Grisham novels, The Shining, Rogue Warrior, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, All Quiet on the Western Front. I cant think of anymore fiction right now but these are some of my favorites and it wouldn't suprise me if you've read most of them.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize [censored] IS a moderator, right?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 AM

I like hunter S. however he seems to be one of those people either love to death or hate with a passion. I personally did not like the hells angels book when compared with something like Fear and Loathing in las vegas. They are a very different writing style.

VinceLepore + Smoothcall = VinceCall (the ultimate troll)?