Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Ebay \'Power Selling\': talk me out of it

I used to make a good some of money everytime Best Buy or other retailers would have a great rebate sale.
I would buy the item, mail in for the rebate, then sell the item on ebay noting that it was without a UPC.
You have to do a quick search on your product before you actually go out and buy/resell it, but most of the time it was well worth the time and effort.
Day after Thanksgiving sales are the best for finding these kind of rebates.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:59 PM

Thanks, you guys rule, as I fully expected. Plus, I got my 'learn something every day' in; I'm not familiar with this 'anty' concept. Google time.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:30 PM

antny not anty......its "I"talian for Anthony......How You Doin, ah?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 PM

I did some serious selling for a while. The fees are what gets you - between Paypal (if you accept it, which almost everybody does), and the eBay fees, you're paying quite a bit.

What I did was travel to 13 Pearl Jam concerts, buy posters (dated for the day of the show with unique artwork and limited to around 300 per show), and sell them far higher than what I paid for them. My brother and I went to a show in Chicago (about 7 hours away) for just one night to buy posters. There were only 300 printed, and we managed to get 33 of them, even when we were only allowed to buy one at a time and had to go to different stands so the merchants didn't know (they had a one per customer rule). The posters sold for $20 each at the show, but would sell for $60 and up afterward. Plus we got to enjoy a show I wanted to go to anyway. Posters from their shows at Madison Square Garden sold for $300 on ebay, but sold out seconds after going on sale at the show.

The key is knowing a lot of stuff about what is worth money and what isn't. Go to a lot of in-person auctions in your area. I would suggest buying box lots as cheaply as possible at the local auctions and then sell the items in the box one at a time.

It's a lot of legwork, but it can be fun too if you like going to auctions, flea markets, garage sales, etc.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:50 AM

As long as you aren't selling crap then you can make a lot of money. I've been selling on ebay for about 2 years. Sure the fees are outragous for paypal and ebay but there is really no other way for me to reach out to the customers, so I have to pay them.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:12 AM

Buddy of mine used to go to Gov. auctions and the like and buy computer monitors by the pallet. He would clean them, fix the ones that needed fixing. Monitors usually go bad when a solder joint over heats and breaks. Easy fix. He made 5-7 large every month for about two years. Sold the business to his kid who promptly F'd it all up and doesn't do it anymore.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
antny not anty......its "I"talian for Anthony......How You Doin, ah?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eff me, yo. I'm just a squarehead-Mick.