Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Paradise $1/2 stud high--middling straight

In May or so of 2004, I logged into Paradise to play some heads-up play money, something I used to do once in a while, and a prompt came up asking if I wanted a free $2 to play on their real money tables. I clicked the "uh, sure" button and started out playing $.02/.04 stud and hold'em while sipping Bombay Sapphire after working the evening shift. Once I had a few bucks, I played $2 buy-in NL cash games, then $10, then $25, and I think a couple of $50 games. Eventually, I had a little over $200 on my $0 investment. Of course, I threw most of it off, and decided that on-line poker isn't my thing. I imagine that eventually I will give up on on-line poker almost as many times as I have given up on limit hold'em.

Anyway, recently I've built my on-line bankroll up to $100 or so, so I decided to play a little $1/2 stud on Paradise. This game used to have no ante, but they jacked it up to $.25, making for a much better game. This is a hand I played a few minutes ago:

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.25 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Bring-in___Fold
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Call___Call
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Call___Fold
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Call___Call
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Raise

4th Street - (5.25 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Check___Call___Call
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Check___Raise
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Bet___Call

5th Street - (5.63 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___Check
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Check
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Check

6th Street - (5.63 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Bet___Raise___Call
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___Raise___Raise
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___Call___Call

River - (17.63 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___Check___Raise
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___Bet___Call
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___Fold

Total pot: (21.63 BB)
Old 10-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Paradise $1/2 stud high--middling straight

His play is consistent with QT in the hole. Perhaps that's why he checks 5th and comes alive with a second showing Q. If that's my read, I would check the river after him. But I like your play all the way to the river.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:40 PM

I don't think I would cap sixth. He sure doesn't seem scared at all by your raising, which makes me think he has a FH or a bigger straight. Trips are also a possibilty I guess. Anyway, I think I call the three bet on sixth and check call the river
Old 10-04-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Results here

I agree with your assessment.

Opponent had a full house, which I believe he rivered.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:41 PM

If we give him precisely QT in the hole, then I can't profitably bet the river, because he's got too many outs. There are 34 unknown cards (if we give him QT in the hole), 15 of which beat us, a little less than half. I'm laying 2:1 by betting, because he will check-raise us when I'm beaten.

That said, most of his possible hands aren't going to give him that many outs. If he has just the Queen, or just the straight draw, or just two pair, we have a profitable bet, so overall, I think that betting the river is clear.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 PM

I'm suprised you're only playing $1/2 online with your skills Andy, I would've thought at least 2/4 for you. (if not 3/6)
Old 10-04-2005, 10:52 PM

I'll play $30/60 live in the next week or two if that'll make you feel better. I prefer playing live, and consequently don't keep much, if any, money in on-line accounts.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I'll play $30/60 live in the next week or two if that'll make you feel better. I prefer playing live, and consequently don't keep much, if any, money in on-line accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you played around that limit, how long before the next step?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 PM

$30/60 is the highest limit allowed by law in Minnesota. I don't think that that is going to change in the near future. I played some in a $40/80 home game last year, and I played $75/150 stud at Foxwoods for about 45 minutes a couple of years ago. Really, $30/60 stretches my comfort level most of the time, so I'm not really looking to play any higher right now. Some day, I'd like to take a crack at the big stud games in Los Angeles, though.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:09 PM

40-80 is a huge freakin home game Andy