Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

Was watching the news the other day, and saw a pastor in New Orleans, at the stadium. When asked the above question he said "There are no answers..."

So I decided to "ghost" God.

Yes, yes, we can't prove there is a God, it all depends on faith. But if there were.

So I'm God here for a moment. I can't believe it, I'm winning one hand after another at this $100/200 table...

Well he saved Moses, with the red sea thing. And sent Joseph to Egpyt with Jesus. So why let all these people die in natural disasters. I would like to guess that, they weren't listening. I'm guessing there are a lot of people who are "christian" who don't know God. But I don't see anyone going around healing like it said in the disciples did. I'd have to say if you were close with him, he'd tell you to get out. Not to say I don't feel bad about the loss, it was sad.

Makes we wonder sometimes, why people are into self help, and sarcastic about God? Every day you're becoming a more honest person, or not,ect. I'd say I have faith there is a God, and try to adjust my values/priorities into those He holds, so worst case, I have a happy life, because I have edited my personality to derive happiness from being good, and I die with no-where to go.

But my beliefs are sincere, let the pot-odds on god die.
I wasn't the first to try, Pascal was.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

I think the problem that people have is the belief that there is some inherent meaning and order to the universe. It would be nice to think that there is, but I've seen nothing compelling to indicate that is the case.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem that people have is the belief that there is some inherent meaning and order to the universe. It would be nice to think that there is, but I've seen nothing compelling to indicate that is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, belief in God doesn't necessarily add any "meaning" to the universe (this is one of the great fallacies of believers in my opinion). A supreme being creates a universe for the purpose of testing his creatures. Those who "believe" in Him, he takes to the afterlife with Him so they can serve and worship Him. Those who don't, He casts into an eternal fire. So ... where is the meaning again?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:44 AM

The problem is that I don't consider what happened in New Orleans to be "bad". Although tragedies like these make it seem as if bad things do happen to good people, they're irrelevant. If you believe in God, the good people that died are now with Him, and the bad people that died recieved there just reward. If you don't believe it's just one more random event that in the long haul makes no difference to our existence for millions suffer from tragedies everyday and yet the world ticks on. Things happen because they happen, with no apparant reason, and if they didn't occur human existience as we know it wouldn't exist.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, belief in God doesn't necessarily add any "meaning" to the universe (this is one of the great fallacies of believers in my opinion). A supreme being creates a universe for the purpose of testing his creatures. Those who "believe" in Him, he takes to the afterlife with Him so they can serve and worship Him. Those who don't, He casts into an eternal fire. So ... where is the meaning again?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is semantics. You are correct when you say an existent God does not necessarily give meaning to the universe. It does, though, produce the question of what possible reasons He created (assuming this God was a creator God) the universe and us. Any meaning would derive from answers to that question.

Using your simplistic scenario is one of them, to test us. And if we pass we get to heaven (although I don’t think many believe it is so that we can serve and worship Him if we get there) and if we fail we go to hell. Again, this doesn’t give meaning to the universe. It gives meaning (the purpose) to one’s life. Whether or not one finds this “meaningful” is what your rhetorical question seems to be asking.

There are, of course, other potential answers to the same question.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:29 PM

This NPR interview with John Piper, a pastor of a church in Minneapolis is an excellent source for the answer to your question. He hit the nail on the head.

http://www.desiringgod.org/media/mp3...iew_edited.mp3
Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM

If God exists, he's one hell of a bastard.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 PM

being good is +ev but dont forget the variance.

chez
Old 09-12-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If God exists, he's one hell of a bastard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2005, 07:27 PM

bad things happen to good people because
1. they show God's power
2. God is just- He doesn't let sin go unpunished
3. it brings them closer to God
4. not all good people are Christians