Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

View Poll Results: 16
4. Gimme Shelter :: Rolling Stones 60 63.83%
13. Crossroads :: Cream 34 36.17%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Was Hitler right when he said.........

"If I am victorious in this war, I will be known as the greatest hero to have ever lived. And if I fail, I will be the most despised villian in all of history." (Not verbatim, from memory, taken from a passage from 'Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer)

Had Hitler won the war would he have been seen as the greatest hero of all time? Keep in mind, that this assumes the next generations were given the proper "education" or indoctrination into the "The Fuhrer is good, the fuhrer is great, mantra." Which they almost certainly would have been.

If you choose no, I hope you will explain yourself. And you DO owe me an explanation, for I am your intellectual superior.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Was Hitler right when he said.........

Depends what you mean by "war".
Had he won world war two, he would have been briefly hailed as a hero, until at some point, possibly after his death the empire/reich broke up (as did the soviet union), and he would likely still have been seen as a villian.
Stalin is not seen as a hero despite the soviet union being among the victors of WWII
Old 08-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Assume the Reich never breaks up. Assume it lasts as long as Hitler dreamed it would. Assume a world of the 'Thousand Year Reich.'
Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Assuming the reich maintains both its political cohesion and political direction (i.e. Hitler is not demonised by later 'nazi' leaders with their own agenda.) Then yes the political consensus would be that he is a hero.

The point being??
Old 08-25-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the reich maintains both its political cohesion and political direction (i.e. Hitler is not demonised by later 'nazi' leaders with their own agenda.) Then yes the political consensus would be that he is a hero.

The point being??

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you put that. Yes, exactly, assuming all those things.

My point is that there is no objective good or evil. Assuming the following scenario we would live in a world where Jews are considered evil terrorists and those that slaughter them would be the hero's. Good and evil can only be viewed subjectively.

If this is true. Then how can there be a God that presides objectively over what is good and evil?

Anyone who votes 'Yes' admits that there is no God, whether they know it or not.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Default No need

[ QUOTE ]
Assume the Reich never breaks up. Assume it lasts as long as Hitler dreamed it would. Assume a world of the 'Thousand Year Reich.'

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you are answering your own question! Stalin's "empire" collapsed less than forty years after his death. A thousand-year Reich means that almost certainly Hitler is a hero.

I answered Yes to your poll without assuming anything like what you posted above.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:40 PM

Also, anyone that votes YES is admiting that Hitler was indeed not evil. They are merely recognizing the fact that a different imprint was given for us to follow. That being the liberty, equal rights, democratic, imprint.

Had one been born into the Thousand Year Reich in say, the year 1984 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] then one would be denouncing such things as evil and against God or whatever.

There is no good and evil. We are no more guilty than the animals. Everyone has known it since Darwin. But still, no one will admit it.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will be known as the greatest hero

[/ QUOTE ]

Being known a hero by political consensus does not somehow make a person good. If scientific concensus suggested as it possibly did at some stage that the earth is flat it does not mean that it was, nor does it provide support for scientific relativism in relation to the shape of the earth.

My point is that the example here does not appropriately address the issue of moral relativism you seek to explore.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 PM

It does in the same sense that people who think of GWB as a hero do not consider him to be evil. In fact, I am sure they think he is a good person.

Don't try to mesmerize me with your semantical gibberish, college boy.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 PM

It is not clear that had he won he would have been revered. I suppose it all depends on who you asked. Strictly in terms of population, there would have been far more "losers" had Hitler won than "winners."

Its hard to imagine any amount of foreign indoctrination convincing, say, Jews, Russians, Britons or Americans that Hitler was a hero.