Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Heavy computer use and damage to your eyes. (o/t)

After all the scaremongering fuss caused by the press picking up on Tatemichi's research report "To study the association between computer use and visual field abnormalities (VFA) and to assess whether heavy computer users have an increased risk of glaucoma" the "good news" that seems to have been overlooked was in a reply to a letter to the authors:

"* What we found: a positive association between the heavy PC users and visual field abnormalities, only among those with refractive errors. Similar association was not seen among those without refractive errors.

"*We do not know whether: heavy PC use will cause or hasten the development of glaucoma, as the study we ran was not designed to test the cause-effect relationship; heavy PC use will heighten the risk of glaucoma through worsening of myopia, a known risk factor for glaucoma, as our study was not designed to test this hypothesis."

Still of concern to those of us with refractive errors, but possibly not quite as worrying as we all first thought.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Heavy computer use and damage to your eyes. (o/t)

smoke weed? just kidding.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM

It would be interesting to see a comparison of CRT vs. flat panel. I suspect that flat panel monitors might be easier on the eyes becase they don't strobe like CRT's.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:46 AM

Refractive errors means you already wear glasses?
Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
smoke weed

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Yeah, what are refractive errors?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:36 PM

I do have astigmatisom and yes I do wear glasses...since third grade. I am also a pool player. My pool game used to be real good, but since I found online poker, my game has suffered. Not only from lack of interest (more money in poker) but I have noticed that I can't cut a ball like I used to. I used to be great at razor thin cuts. I find that I can no longer do it. It has to be a combonation from not playing pool every day during the past two years (gotta keep the edge) and from the fuzzy edges of the letters on a computer. Maybe? Maybe not? But I can still bank like a champ.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 PM

i guess any articles that make playing online poker seem like a dangerous physical profession is cool.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:18 PM

If you have a "refractive error" it means simply that your eyesight isn't perfect.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do have astigmatisom and yes I do wear glasses...since third grade. I am also a pool player. My pool game used to be real good, but since I found online poker, my game has suffered. Not only from lack of interest (more money in poker) but I have noticed that I can't cut a ball like I used to. I used to be great at razor thin cuts. I find that I can no longer do it. It has to be a combonation from not playing pool every day during the past two years (gotta keep the edge) and from the fuzzy edges of the letters on a computer. Maybe? Maybe not? But I can still bank like a champ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too used to be decent at pool, but then my eyesight deteriorated and the cuts are not as good anymore.
It might be computers, or age of course, or maybe it is true what we were told as kids?

It is sad when you can not do something at a level that you used to, even depressing, but next pot I guess, never did have a nack for comlaining about bad beats.

Cutting is preferable to banking according to Minnesota Fats, well screw that, I can still play top level Poker for a few years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ToT