Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:56 AM

Default ATo - When do I get away from this?

Just recently sat down. Put villain on draw, figuring I was way ahead or way behind. Any suggestions?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

SB ($49.25)
BB ($20.68)
UTG ($173.95)
UTG+1 ($49.50)
MP1 ($23.45)
MP2 :#A500AF(Villain)/ ($150.43)
CO ($54.35)
Hero ($61.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $4</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds, Villain calls $4.

Turn: ($19) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: ($19) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

Final Pot: $49
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: ATo - When do I get away from this?

Bumpity Bump.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:23 PM

you could get away PF, AT is not a great hand, especially when it costs you 2xBB to see the flop. i would probably call also because of position, but you could get away there and it would not be wrong.

flop play is not bad, but after he calls your raise it's clear he's not afraid of the ace. you only have a 1-pair hand, and although it is top pair there are a ton of hands that have you far behind already.

after the flop action, check/fold the turn and check/fold the river.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:24 PM

Raise preflop or fold. I would fold it there.
The flop minraise is terrible - villain will always call. Fold to his bet or make a real raise. Id fold it there.
No way I put another dime in on the river.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:25 PM

I disagree with calling AT on the button there. The hand plays very poorly multiway. The only good that can come of a call there is a miracle flop.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:29 PM

good point.... i wouldn't call there with the intention of hitting a top-pair hand, i'd be looking for at least 2-pair, maybe a pair and a draw.... or something better than top-pair.

AT is only trouble in a multiway pot on a AJx flop.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 PM

So if you just bet your draw and then call a minimum raise, then all you gotta do is min bet the turn or river to get the pot even when the draw misses you? Incredible.

After you put in the raise and check behind on the turn, most bets on the river with a non-flush card should be called in my opinion. Lacking a read that the player seldom bluffs in such spots or wouldn't bet his draw (maybe a 8dxd for example) the advice to check fold turn and river is very weak.

That said, the raise on the flop needs to be much bigger - potsized raise is 15, so thereabouts I would say.

EDIT: Well it should be said I only play 6max. Might be my advice is off here.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just recently sat down. Put villain on draw, figuring I was way ahead or way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've just sat down, how can you put the villian on draw? and if you put them on a draw, how can you possibly be in a wa/wb situation...

Fold or make a real raise on the flop. I prefer folding since the villian overbet the pot and you don't know (or don't specify in the OP) enough about them to know what this means. Your hand has bad reverse-implied odds, fold.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good point.... i wouldn't call there with the intention of hitting a top-pair hand, i'd be looking for at least 2-pair, maybe a pair and a draw.... or something better than top-pair.

AT is only trouble in a multiway pot on a AJx flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't ATo a playable hand to see a flop relatively cheaply when several limpers in very small stakes game? I mean: people playing at those 0.10/0.25 games are usually very weak...

Only wondering!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:07 PM

yes, it's playable, but not if you are looking to win with only 1 pair. it's easy to lose alot playing it as a pair of aces, especially when the board outkicks your kicker.