Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Sticky

Hi Folks,

As many of you are aware, I've sort of been working on a sticky for the stud forum. You can see the work in progress here. I'd like to try to get this up pretty soon, as just today a couple of people asked questions that are answered in the sticky.

Now I've tried to find a couple of threads to include, but haven't had any luck so far.

The first is a thread where we discussed stud books during the fall. I wanted to include this thread because there were some good pro-West and I think pro-Othmer posts in it. I want to appear unbiased if at all possible.

The second is a thread we had I think during the late winter or early spring discussing the program that remembers your up-cards for you. There was some discussion of the ethics of using such a program. I don't think I participated, because I had played very little on-line at that point and still don't have a strong opinion (I'll tell you everything I know, you can use all the programs you want, and I'll still hand you your ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

If someone could dig these up I'd really appreciate it. Maybe I'll give you a nifty title or something.

Any other suggestions welcome as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Sticky

Here's the only book threads I can find:

Around that time period anyway.

FAQ looks great Andy
Old 07-12-2005, 11:25 PM

And here is the Stud Tracker discussion boss.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 AM

Thanks much. Very helpful. I was remembering 2 and 3 as being one thread, and thought it might have been a bit more cogent that. timmer isn't the most coherent guy I've ever run across.

The card-remembering program threads were the ones I was looking for.

Maybe I'll start a books thread in the hopes that we never have to have another one.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was remembering 2 and 3 as being one thread, and thought it might have been a bit more cogent that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that the thread was in the old Books forum and had Zee participating. I haven't been able to find it but will keep looking.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:59 AM

I just noticed that neither of these threads actually mentions the name of the program. I was able to find out what it is (it helps that CurryLover doesn't have a whole lot of posts). Do people think I should include that?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 AM

Andy great sticky, truly you got it spot on regarding the friendly forum part.

Couple o' suggestions for you:

1) Re: If you don't care enough to invest $35 and spend some time studying the literature, then why should we care about helping you?

This sort of clashes with the "friendly" image painted by the stickys opening line of 'friendly forum' and does give a vibe that its like some of the other forums where people wait to 'devour newbies'.

I'd change it to something more along the lines of if you don't buy the books and read them you are seriously disadvantaged to other players who have taken the time to buy them and read them (like AndyB 20 times) and if they know more about the game than you, then you're in trouble if you sit and their table. (Don't write this, it sounds terrible but you know what I'm getting at, something along these lines)

2) I love the way you talk about Party's lowest limit but I think its too short.

You should get about 5 different low limit ante examples from different sites and compare them very briefly by saying "High ante play a little looser, very low ante play tight, standard ante play solid" etc.

3) Also mention that sometimes the forum has friendly games, these are a ball.

Just my 0.02, great sticky

Cheers,
SDM
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just noticed that neither of these threads actually mentions the name of the program. I was able to find out what it is (it helps that CurryLover doesn't have a whole lot of posts). Do people think I should include that?

[/ QUOTE ]

People will find the name of the program out if they want too so I don't think it matters much whether it's included or not. I always refrained from mentioning its name in the thread because I didn't want to give them free advertising. Make people work for it a little bit.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Sticky looks great to me. Thanks for all your hard work! I might try to work on the formatting a bit more, but it's hard to really do too much in UBB so maybe not.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:02 AM

I am impressed that you spent the time to do this. Wow! Hopefully, people will really benefit from the work you put in.