Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was this Helpful?
Yes 6 28.57%
No 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Would you care?

EDIT: Would you care if your telephone company switched you to VOIP (IP phone) without telling you? would be a better poll Q.
(read post 3 for background on poll)
Old 06-27-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Would you care?

I have VOIP phone service, but it uses a normal phone. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 AM

Reason for post:

I was called up from my broadband provider asking me if I wanted to have my telephone go via them instead of my telephonecompany cheaper etc. I didnt have to do anything as they would record the contract via the phone and they would make changes and send me some stuff. Like some box to connect at the phonelinesocket. Didn't think much of it, we did the contract thingie but then I had to ask if it was IP phone or reg. phoneline. He then said it was IP phone.

I was fkn pissed because the fker on the phone said nothing about this. Very deceiving.

I have nothing against IP phone at all, but hearing news about people not being able to call 911 because of blackout. Or that you get re-routed to the wrong 911 station and stuff, and also rumors about hackers and IP phone spam. I would not want to have IP phone as my sole telephone.

whaddaya think?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have VOIP phone service, but it uses a normal phone. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) uses regular telephones (but with converters that convert it to digital, either in the phone or with a small box in socket) is the phone IP I am talking about. And these don't work during a blackout as normal telephone lines does.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:51 AM

o.k. I wasn't sure if your problem was the service or phones initially. Some of the IP services use special phones. I also have a cell phone so I don't worry much about your specific concerns.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reason for post:

I was called up from my broadband provider asking me if I wanted to have my telephone go via them instead of my telephonecompany cheaper etc. I didnt have to do anything as they would record the contract via the phone and they would make changes and send me some stuff. Like some box to connect at the phonelinesocket. Didn't think much of it, we did the contract thingie but then I had to ask if it was IP phone or reg. phoneline. He then said it was IP phone.

I was fkn pissed because the fker on the phone said nothing about this. Very deceiving.

I have nothing against IP phone at all, but hearing news about people not being able to call 911 because of blackout. Or that you get re-routed to the wrong 911 station and stuff, and also rumors about hackers and IP phone spam. I would not want to have IP phone as my sole telephone.

whaddaya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i'd be [censored] either way since i use a cordless phone...
Old 06-27-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with the price of beans in Mexico?> [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with the price of beans in Mexico?> [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

His main problem with it is that he couldn't use his phone during emergencies (and the fact that they weren't direct about this being an IP phone in the first place). I couldn't use mine during emergencies anway since i use a cordless, so to me, if switching was saving me enough money i wouldn't give a [censored] whether or not it was IP or landline. Should they have told him? Of course.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:59 PM

I switched to VOIP to save money, and I regret it. I use a cable modem, and my neighbors use lots of bandwidth, so the voice quality is pretty bad except for late at night. (I hear them fine, but they can't understand me). I'm thinking about switching back to a landline.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:04 PM

Just plug an old phone into a regular socket,if you are paranoid about emergencies, doesn't the phone compay have to keep the line open at all times for 911 calls, with or without service?