Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Cars under $20K

the scion tc looks like a great deal for a cheap car to me.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:09 PM

More suggestions for small, somewhat fun cars:
Nissan Sentra SE-R
Subaru Impreza - all wheel drive
V-Dub GTI
Civic Si
Scion Tc

Disclaimer/edit: I am the proud owner of beat to hell '95 civic DX. ~39 mpg highway, and slow as shaet.

Further edit: I think Hondas retain their value better than any other brand. Also, Mazda 3=Ford Focus=been recalled about 17 times. I do like the Impreza however, and am hoping my Civic can limp on for another few year so I can buy a WRX Sti (or then contemporary equivalent).
Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM

I should also mention that I have the WORST luck humanly possible with cars breaking down and dumping thousands of $$$ into repairs each year so reliability and warranty are pretty important. I know Honda's have a reputation for running forever without breaking down so that's a vote towards them I guess.

Scion TC's don't look too bad.

Does the Civic SI come in non-hatchback?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM

I have an Impreza WRX and looked seriously and drove all trims except of the Impreza except the STI when shopping (RS, TS, WRX sedan, and WRX wagon - ended up with the WRX wagon) and loved them all. The 2005 Consumer Reports Auto Issue just came in my mailbox yesterday and they've got the Impreza as their Top Pick in the category. Subarus are known for their reliability and if you've ever looked at used Impreza prices, they're damn near what a new one is - they hold their value. All-wheel drive and their handling are both awesome.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:26 PM

i just recently bought a car, under $20k. the scion tc...i love it.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Civic = meh. You can get an Impreza for under $20k and you can also get a Mazda 3. Both are better than a civic (the Impreza is the standout best). The civic's not a bad buy, it's just that there are better out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo the mazda 3 is a very good choice, but second to the scion tc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have an Impreza WRX and looked seriously and drove all trims except of the Impreza except the STI when shopping (RS, TS, WRX sedan, and WRX wagon - ended up with the WRX wagon) and loved them all. The 2005 Consumer Reports Auto Issue just came in my mailbox yesterday and they've got the Impreza as their Top Pick in the category. Subarus are known for their reliability and if you've ever looked at used Impreza prices, they're damn near what a new one is - they hold their value. All-wheel drive and their handling are both awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but in colorado EVERYONE has a subaru...it's annoying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah but in colorado EVERYONE has a subaru...it's annoying [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is a bit annoying, but at least they're mostly outbacks. I'll have you know I bought my WRX in California where there's about 6 of them in the whole state (and began wanting one when I was still in school in MI), and not as a bandwagoner. Anyway, Subarus are the best cars in the price range (the forester was a top pick in its category too and all are at least recommended) and definitely well-suited to CO, so it makes sense they're so huge here. At this altitude, I have to have a turbo - the thin air kills any normally-aspirated engine. I predicted a few years ago the WRX would be very popular and it looks like my prediction is coming true - they're really growing in popularity.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM

How are Subarus as far as interior room? My 98 Civic coupe is HUGE inside, more room than just about any midsized car. However, the newer Civics are just as bad, crappy interior room for someone my size (6'8"). It pretty much seems that most small/midsized cars now are made for six footers and no more. I'm thinking that when I finally do break down and buy something new it'll have to be a full size car or a truck or something.

Swede
Old 02-23-2005, 01:47 PM

I'm 6'1" and my car is perfect. At 6'8", I find it hard to believe that you'd have enough room in any small car. Check out the new Legacy - the GT is pretty sweet for that size car. I don't really have a whole lot to say about larger cars/SUVs/trucks, as I prefer a sport compact, so that's what I shop.