Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-11-2005, 01:29 AM

Default statistical tests to show that online poker is not rigged

I have been having this argument with some people on PStars who say that it is rigged. Now, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any high profile tests that were run to show that the distribution of the cards is statistically sound.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: statistical tests to show that online poker is not rigged

Independent audit reports.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:52 AM

Could you send me a link to results that have been published online? There must be something like this available to the public.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 AM

these independant tests dont test if its "rigged." they only test to see if the outcomes generated by the random number generator are distributed appropriately. so in theory, pokerstars' random number generator could pass test, while they could still rig the cards on particular hands. for the record, i dont think this is happening.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
these independant tests dont test if its "rigged." they only test to see if the outcomes generated by the random number generator are distributed appropriately. so in theory, pokerstars' random number generator could pass test, while they could still rig the cards on particular hands. for the record, i dont think this is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have thoughts on this ... but I probalby wouldn't be able to sound very intelligent....and I definitely wouldn't be able to explain/defend any of my points...so I'll just keep quiet....

Though - NO - I don't think any site is 'rigged.'

A question of frequency of occurence of rare anomolies MIGHT be in question. (I said might - huge might - don't flame me)
Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think that it is happenning. The number generator is random, but as you just said they could rig cards on particular hands. For instance, giving someone 4 of a kind and someone else a straight flush. They know that both parties will bet heavy and GUESS WHAT? that means that the bigger the bet, the more rake they take. It makes perfect sense. However, it is random in the sense that you have an equal chance of coming out the winner or the loser in such a situation, but it is still technically "rigged."
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think that it is happenning. The number generator is random, but as you just said they could rig cards on particular hands. For instance, giving someone 4 of a kind and someone else a straight flush. They know that both parties will bet heavy and GUESS WHAT? that means that the bigger the bet, the more rake they take. It makes perfect sense. However, it is random in the sense that you have an equal chance of coming out the winner or the loser in such a situation, but it is still technically "rigged."

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a max rake on every hand. For example, if you look at a 30/60 limit game on Stars, the rake is the same whether the pot is $1000 or $135. With all the money these sites make every day, I find it hard to believe they will go out of their way every once in a while to rig a hand in order to get 50 cents more rake.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:45 AM

The rake is the same at the upper level games I'll agree, but the majority of people playing at pokerstars aren't playing at those limits. They are playing at the .05/.10, or the .50/1.00, the average Joe I'm talking about. And at these low levels there is a pretty substantial difference in the rake depending on how much is in the pot. I'm not saying it is definately happenning, but if you look at some of the horrific online beats that we've all seen, and then consider this, I'm saying it logically makes sense.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:00 AM

Oh my goodness, I have created the very beast that I sought out to destroy!

Look, I don't want to argue about whether or not online poker is rigged. For the record, it's pretty clear to me that it isn't.

I just wanted to know if there are any results published online that statistically prove that the card distributions are fair.

Please start another thread if you want to debate about whether or not online poker is rigged.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you look at some of the horrific online beats that we've all seen, and then consider this, I'm saying it logically makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I've played hundreds of thousands of hands, and I've seen literally dozens of those "horrific" beats that you speak of, 989:1 (the worst beat possible in holdem) shots hitting. That should NEVER happen. What are the odds of a 989:1 shot hitting!?! It's like a billion to one!