Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 04:53 AM

Default N/L hand. your thoughts?

ok... Freeroll N/L tournament on PokerStars...

yeah, i'm broke and can't afford to play $.02 - $.04 even, so this is what i get...

anyway, there are about 2400 people in the tournament. it's down to 112. i have an average stack of 25K. chip leader at my table has 65K. i'm 3rd at the table.

I'm in LP with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Chip Leader is button. blinds are $400-$800 with a $50 ante. 1 limper to me and pot 1450 so far. i raise to $5000. CL calls, limper and blinds fold.

flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

i fear a Q here, for some reason, and check.

CL checks behind. i think he would bet with a Q here.

Turn is [6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I think he doesn't have a Q here, and might have bet an Ace after i checked the flop. I also admit that i wanted to win this pot, as it was now the size of half my stack. I honestly thought i had the best hand, and i pushed all-in...

after a lengthy debate he types in chat: "I hate calling you here, because i think you have a Q or a bigger kicker..." and then calls. he turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and IGHN...

i know my play was horrible. if i wasn't willing to push in on the flop, i certainly had no business pushing in when the Ace falls.

how bad did i play this, and what do you think of my opponent's play?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Re: N/L hand. your thoughts?

You have to raise on the flop, and a big raise at that. there is absolutely no way you should be giving free cards away, something like... well just like what did happen could happen.
Of his play: I would not call your preflop raise. I would probably not have called your turn raise either, of all the hands you are likely to have after your preflop raise (AA, KK, AK, AQ, QQ maybe QKs) the only one he could beat is KK. But just because he shouldn´t have called it doesn´t mean that you should have made it.

I am taking this from the point of view of a "normal" tournament. I have never played a free roll so i have no idea how people play in these things, my guess is by the time you are down to the last 10% of the field people are playing reasonably sensibly.

tim
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: N/L hand. your thoughts?

I think your preflop raise is fine. I would have bet the flop however. There is 17650 chips in the pot on the flop. Your move there is to go all in or fold. I would not have waited to the turn to bet and if I did I would not have bet on the ace.