Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-12-2005, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Moneyline on the flu shot

[ QUOTE ]
there is no reason for a healthy adult under 60 to get a flu shot.

skip the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true under current conditions (shortages of vaccine, lots of disaster in our country and people need it more than we do. Also, doctors, teachers, and students, and the like should be the ones getting them because them getting sick has more costly negative effects), the statement that there is no reason to get a flu shot is terrible.

The shot not only may prevent you from getting sick from an already popular, but non-deadly strain of the flu virus this season, but it also prevents new diseases from becoming worse and mutations and the like. The best chance for the new avian flu virus to become a pandemic is for it to be in a human system while they already have another flu which spreads from person to person more easily, and have the new virus mutate so it can spread from person to person more easily.

P.S. Infants need the shot as much as any elderly person would.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is no reason for a healthy adult under 60 to get a flu shot.

skip the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true under current conditions (shortages of vaccine, lots of disaster in our country and people need it more than we do. Also, doctors, teachers, and students, and the like should be the ones getting them because them getting sick has more costly negative effects), the statement that there is no reason to get a flu shot is terrible.

The shot not only may prevent you from getting sick from an already popular, but non-deadly strain of the flu virus this season, but it also prevents new diseases from becoming worse and mutations and the like. The best chance for the new avian flu virus to become a pandemic is for it to be in a human system while they already have another flu which spreads from person to person more easily, and have the new virus mutate so it can spread from person to person more easily.

P.S. Infants need the shot as much as any elderly person would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, come again.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:09 PM

Man I love getting owned when I'm stoned. Whoa, that rhimed. Damnit, that was on the edit also! I almost had it.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:32 PM

Screw that, you are man. Man is strong. Take not the flu shot young jedi, you WTFPWN the flu. You need not this crude medicine before you, illuminus is this immune system before you.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 AM

Yabbut I work for an HMO, though I try not to go to the darkside; they 'encourage' us to have them, even give them free in our cafeteria.

I feel better now.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i never have had a flu shot, and i can't remember ever having the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Flu shot is overrated unless you're an infant or over 55-60.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:36 PM

new development on the bird flu front. i read an article which said that the reason it is so lethal (50%) is that what ends up killing you is an overreaction from your own immune system which ends up destroying ones lungs. having a strong immune system actually works against you. the old and feeble may even have a better chance at survival.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new development on the bird flu front. i read an article which said that the reason it is so lethal (50%) is that what ends up killing you is an overreaction from your own immune system which ends up destroying ones lungs. having a strong immune system actually works against you. the old and feeble may even have a better chance at survival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the flu shot does nothing to protect you from the bird flu. Flu shots are old viruses that have already been seen commonly in the human system.