Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Taking Notes?

Is it "ok" to take notes at a table in a cardroom?
I play 3/6 at a local cardroom and was wondering if it is legal or even worth doing.
I think it would be worth doing, but do not know how it would effect my "image" at the table or if that matters?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Taking Notes?

Consensus: It's legal but not wise, because it will encourage others to play better against you.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Taking Notes?

I did it for a short time and found it useful. I made a graph for recording the info I wanted to make it go quickly. But EVERYONE noticed, EVERYONE commented, and EVERYONE worried that I was writing stuff about them. I had to show them my notes to convince them I was only recording info on my hands and play. I stopped doing it for the reason AKQJ10 mentions--it drew other's attention to how seriously I take the game. No one was offended, but you just have the benefits of notes vs the disadvantage of calling attention to yourself.

I've been debating whether to take notes again or not b/c I have a poor memory and when I replay things in my head, it doesn't help if I can't remember all the hands I played and other details--i.e., I usually only remember the big wins or big losses. But I'm leaning towards not for the same reason I quit the first time.