Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Are players like Hellmuth and Matasow

destined to suffer the most bad beats?

It seems like their strengths are playing post flop, and reading others' hands. Except for the times they are bluffing because they (usually correctly) figure an opponent will fold, they seem to get their money in with the best hand.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Are players like Hellmuth and Matasow

[ QUOTE ]
destined to suffer the most bad beats?

It seems like their strengths are playing post flop, and reading others' hands. Except for the times they are bluffing because they (usually correctly) figure an opponent will fold, they seem to get their money in with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best players suffer the most bad beats. I'll let you figure out why.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:52 AM

Sorry, remind me of the Matasow bad beat?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM

final table danneman pushed AJ on a 245 flop Matusow calls with pocket tens. MM Loses, not even a blip of a bad beat in any old cash game or tourney but the final table of the WSOP ME, it's a bad beat.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:04 PM

You're right, his hands held up in last night's episode (though from last year's WSOP, it does seem that he loses more races than he wins).

I was thinking, in comparison to other big name pros , when Hellmuth and Matasow get their money in it is usually with way the best of it (e.g.,in comparison to Doyle, Flack, Raymer, Forrest, even Howard). Just wondering if there was any correlation between their game and their overreactions to losing hands.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:40 PM

I think Hellmuth suffers bad beats because he is of a school of thought that he must be given respect when he is the raiser and therefore opponets should either fold or not outdraw him. If you raise it up preflop with aces, there is one caller, and the flop comes 467, you don't expect your opponent to have anything, and you sure as hell don't expect him to have an 85 offsuit, however, we see crap like this all the time online. With more online players in these big tournaments, that stuff is probably happening more often there as well.