Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Why do calling stations piss me off?

Even when I beat them (regularly) people who call off their chips for whatever reason really tick me off. I don't understand the play of these idiots who won't bet but they'll call if they think they're best. Why? I honestly don't know myself.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Why do calling stations piss me off?

[ QUOTE ]
Even when I beat them (regularly) people who call off their chips for whatever reason really tick me off. I don't understand the play of these idiots who won't bet but they'll call if they think they're best. Why? I honestly don't know myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like to bite the hand that feeds? Have you exhibited that type of behavior in other aspects of your life?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Bluff less unles you sense weakness, value bet more
Old 10-01-2005, 11:43 PM

Well I can't claim to know exactly why they play the way they do, but I have a theory. They like to see the showdown. They aren't interested in making money but they also don't want to feel stupid. If they bet and got raised then they'd have to have a hand to feel good about calling. As long as they just check they can decide your probably bluffing and call you all the way.

As to why that pisses you off so much. That's a little more complex. Give me a little info on why you think it bothers you so much to see them play this way. Do you take great pride in playing poker the "correct" way? Are you annoyed even when you aren't in the hand or only when they play that way against you?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are idiots.

Because they are harder to read and thus frustrating to play against.

Because they will give you some of your most embarrassing losses.

But in payment of all of the above, you will take their money much more often than they take yours.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:30 PM

because you're too aggressive
Old 10-03-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's because you are very arrogant. thats why stupid people like calling stations piss you off.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM

Because they won't fold.

That drives me crazy, too. Why the $%^%$ won't they fold?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because they won't fold.

That drives me crazy, too. Why the $%^%$ won't they fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I especially hate that I can liberally bet with my monsters and they will happily call down with whatever trash they have.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even when I beat them (regularly) people who call off their chips for whatever reason really tick me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its because you get more satisfaction from bluffing and making good laydowns (neither of which you can do against a calling station) than you do from value betting. This is understandable - being able to make really good reads is exciting and its very rewarding to be able to buy a pot or avoid losing a lot of money because you know exactly what your opponent has.

My recommendation is to focus more on your value betting and squeezing as much money as possible out of these opponents. Its not as sexy as a good bluff, but betting with second pair no kicker and knowing that your opponent will call with bottom pair can be quite satisfying as well. I think its HEPFAP of SSH has a quote that goes something like "confident value betting is a hallmark of an expert player".