Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: traveling at the speed of light

[ QUOTE ]
I stand (sit) corrected (maybe). I was told by a relative that the faster you go the slower time goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

One way to think of it is that time and space (are related (hence the term space-time), and the more quickly you pass through one, the slower you pass through the other. To me saying that time slows down is confusing, I think its easier to think of time as a constant entity that is just there, and we are the ones passing through it at different rates...but I guess it essentially amounts to the same thing.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told by a relative that the faster you go the slower time goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope that pun wasn't intended.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Answer: No. Less gravity actually makes for slower time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you're right depending on how you meant that statement. Actually an observer inside a gravity well will observe that time is apparently moving faster in a frame of reference farther out of the gravity well, and from outside looking in, time would appear to be moving slower deeper in the well. For instance, if two spaceships come across a blackhole, and one goes into orbit very close to its event horizon and then returns (assuming it wasnt crushed in the process, had the tremendous energy required to reach escape velocity, nit nit etc.), millions of years may seem to have passed on the outside while they were in, while for an observer on the second ship looking in, time would appear to have almost stopped on the first ship.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:15 AM

Yeah, you're right. I either said it wrong or read it wrong. Either way, what I posted was wrong. More gravity, relative shortening of time by objects in the gravity well relative to objects outside the well.

We talked about the spaceship example in the Astro course that I took. It would take immense energy, but it looks like only best way to time travel that we know of right now. You of course would only be able to go into the future and you would age some on the way there.