Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
The guy's a TILTED SHORT STACK! How much do you need to call him?! His hand range is HUGE!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think the presence of the player behind you is a significant factor?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 AM

I do if I know he's good. But in the normal game against unknowns (which is what I thought you thought he thought you were and you thought he was, although apparently he was AIM tipped off to the fact that you are good) no it doesn't.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do if I know he's good. But in the normal game against unknowns (which is what I thought you thought he thought you were and you thought he was, although apparently he was AIM tipped off to the fact that you are good) no it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point. I'm more used to the weak-tightness of the full ring Party game where the BB's original reraise is a very big hand most of the time and the call of the SB push with somebody to act behind makes AA/KK even more likely. This hand ended up being a blind steal/resteal with a tilter in the middle where both the stealer and restealer actually had pretty good hands.

And to nit-pick some more, nobody said I was any good; just that I posted here [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 AM

That's a good point. In fact, I played with you the other day and you lost money. Fish.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 PM

I also have losing stats for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 AM

Yes, I'd be glad to answer the question about my range. I think it can help myself some as well.

First off, like you said, this was more like a steal/resteal situation than anything else, and the sb came much like a surprise.

The initial reraise is a pretty wide range, sometimes I do it with small pairs, sometimes with SCs sometimes with good hands. With aqs here in the same situation, I'd often call the first raise. You being ID:ed as a good player though were a prime target for such reraises. It may have happened before, I don't know for sure. The sb I figured would have a weak hand that he'd fold against a reraise.

As I said earlier, I fcked this up a bit by making my reraise to small. I think I raised to 28 with ~20 in the pot already. A decent sized reraise here would have been more like 40-50.

Anyways, I naturally was a bit worried about your call. To me, this is a medium to high pair, but not likely aa, kk, perhaps not qq, or hands like ak. Since I was giving you such nice odds, I figured you might also call with speculative hands like SCs and small pockets.

When the sb pushes, I'm thinking that he has played this hand really weird, and since he's on tilt, I'm assuming he's got a pretty crappy hand. I was putting him on a smallish pair most likely, but with a lot of other hands in the mix as well, premium pairs as well, however unlikely.

To call that I'd need a range like 88+, aq+. I'd fold my sc, any lower pockets, and I'd seldom reraise with a hand like aj in the first place. Against this range, your jacks certainly would have been a good call. The fine thing about this is that I'd play my premium pockets exactly the same in this scenario, apart from that I might push over the small blinds push.

Thinking about this a bit more, I realize that the initial reraise, while coming every time with AA, KK, QQ, won't come at all that often with hands like 88 or AQs (or naturally small pockets or scs that I fold to the push). So, whether it's a good call, I'm not that certain any more. It's quite difficult to quantify just how often/seldom I make this move with the lower part of my range.

If sb would have folded instead, this would have been an interesting hand with a flop like T55. I'd almost certainly cb.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:27 AM

Nice post.

I do want to point out that I would smooth call your reraise with AA-QQ 100% of the time because I'm almost positive SB is going to push and then, if you call him, you have to call my overpush (or flop push, but I'd probably get it in preflop) and will almost certainly be in big trouble (if you've got a better hand, I'll pay it off). I was pretty sure he was going to push over your reraise after calling my original raise as he was tilting and its very common for people in his mental state to make a "f--- it, I'm all-in" move will all sorts of crap (in my experience, I've seen any pair, any ace, KQ/KJ, even QJs). I was expecting you to fold many of your restealing hands to that push and then I would call it with almost certainly the best hand and a pretty good overlay from your reraise. I didn't think it through enough to know what I would do if you called/pushed (a severe oversight on my part, I'll admit) so, when you called, I had a decision to make.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 AM

Nice read on the sb. I expected a reraise from you with the big hands. I see now that I was very incorrect in thinking so.