Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 03:02 AM

Default My trip to the \"upscale\" barber

A new barbershop, Weldon Barber, just opened about 15 minutes from my house. (It's in Issaquah, for you Seattle-area folks.) Their pitch is that this is a barbershop that really caters to men -- they've got a small flatscreen tuned to ESPN in the waiting room along with nice chairs and men's mags (Golf, GQ, Maxim, etc.). They also have nice leather barber chairs and walled-off stations so the whole world doesn't watch while you get your hair cut.

Even though I've never spent more than $15 on a haircut in my life, I decided to check it out. Since I'm such a cheap bastard in this regard, I figured I'd point out everything I got for my money and ask the good folks of OOT if I got a decent deal.

The services:
Shampoo and conditioner
Hot towels on face and neck during shampoo
Eyebrow hairs (a few strays in the middle) plucked
Shoulder massage
Haircut (obviously)
Straight-razor neck shave
Goatee trim
Hair rinse/style after cut

My cost before tip was $38 (I tipped $8). The woman cutting my hair was pleasant and we had a good conversation. I'm satisfied with the cut and goatee trim, but still a little unsure about spending triple what I would normally spend.

So what do you spend to get your hair cut? And did I get a reasonable deal for the services received?

Oh yeah: I was offered a soda or water while I waited, which was a nice touch.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: My trip to the \"upscale\" barber

thats cheap compared to what you pay for less than that in vegas
Old 12-21-2005, 03:24 AM

I usually pay around $15 for a haircut that has almost none of that with it. Seems like a good deal. In particular, I like the hot towel, eyebrow thingy, and the massage. Seems sort metro though.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:28 AM

I pay 15 for my regular haircut at a Chinese place. This is important since I understand most 'regular' places don't shampoo/wash your hair? This is one of the great pleasures in life.

To OP, one of those places opened up in my area a couple years ago. I've always meant to go but never got around to it. They have wireless internet and laptops you can borrow also I believe. I think the success of such a place depends on how hot the girls are.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pay 15 for my regular haircut at a Chinese place. This is important since I understand most 'regular' places don't shampoo/wash your hair? This is one of the great pleasures in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never had this done until recently, and it's [censored] awesome. I just had a haircut today and was reflecting on how great it is. Then again, I think I have a particularly sensitive scalp, as women scratching my head in just about any context is enough to make me feel incredibly good and relaxed, so I'm glad to see there are others out there who appreciate this as I do.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 AM

Do people find that the "upscale" salon places actually provide better cuts or are we just paying for a nicer location?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually pay around $15 for a haircut that has almost none of that with it. Seems like a good deal. In particular, I like the hot towel, eyebrow thingy, and the massage. Seems sort metro though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was very metro, there's no denying that.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well, in that case, if there was something like this near me, I might go there once every few months or so. Sounds kind of relaxing. I really don't care how gay that sounds. Anyways, I couldn't possibly see myself paying more than $20 for a freakin haircut.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well, in that case, if there was something like this near me, I might go there once every few months or so. Sounds kind of relaxing. I really don't care how gay that sounds. Anyways, I couldn't possibly see myself paying more than $20 for a freakin haircut.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have serious issues...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 AM

I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years now