Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Default I can\'t win.

Well... To make long things short let face it - I don't know how to play poker. I read all the books, I know about table selection, hand defence, domination & reverse domination, implied odds and lot of thigs. I read SSH 5 times and my posts here don't arise "You are stupid moron" replies.
So why's that? Why I CAN'T WIN?

Take a look please. And give me advice: should I kill myself or do same old s...t - post hands here, read hands, read books and hope that may be in future I will win some... Please.... Give me advice?

Here is all my stats for all my poker carrere:

Here is my downwing in PT and grahic:

Here is more details from PT:

Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: I can\'t win.

Hi Akima,

Preflop you are a little tight.

Postflop you seem over aggressive.

Your folded to river bet seems high and your went showdown is correspondingly low. I'm not sure whether your overall aggression is part of that as you are folding people out early.

What are your positional stats like?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Have you looked at this thread?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:52 AM

Just looking really quickly at your stats, I can see a couple things that jump out at me. First, you should play more hands. 16% of hands seems a bit tight to me playing 1/2, 2/4 and 5/10. I'd shoot to get that number up more towards 18%. Look for value-creating opportunities you can get into the pot with.

Also, I'm sure people will say this as well, but steal blinds more and defend yours as well.

Finally, the one number that jumps out at me is your flop aggression factor. 3.95 just seems extremely high. That number should be in the high 2's to very low 3's. You may be wasting a lot of bets on continuation bets on the flop after preflop raises when the flop doesn't hit you.

Look at this thread to compare the ranges that your statistics should most likely lie.

I've found that you won't improve by only giving advice, even if it is the correct advice. Take each session seriously, and write down any hands that you question the way you played, regardless of the result. It could be 2 hands, 20, or 200...post them all up here and get other sets of eyes on your plays. You will learn much more when you can relate to the hands, and what better way to relate than with your own hands.

It's tough and lots of work, but it's never too late to get better.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 PM

I can't spot any big leaks except for your flop aggression which is a bit high, and fold to river bet which is high too.
Post your position stats! Maybe you loose a ton in the blinds.

Over this sample size you clearly are not beating the rake which means there are some serious leaks in your game. The best thing is probably to go through something like 1000 hands in PT playback, only hands where you see the flop. Or better yet if you could ask someone else to do it. It will be easy to spot big leaks in 1000 hands. Maybe you tilt too much, pay off too much, play too many tables, play without PAHUD ie without reads. List goes on.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:11 PM

hi akimka,

I looks as if you need to embrace your inner LAG preflop. Your VPIP, pfr, ATSB, and WTSD are all significantly lower than mine. I would recommend trying even harder to expand both your stealing range as well as your isolating range for bad limpers. Furthermore, you can probably defend your BB a little more: start calling with suited trash in raised multiway pots, defend with T8o type hands to steal raises HU, etc.

As far as postflop goes you seem to be over aggresive and are probably not calling enough, but I think if you embrace the LAG in you these should work themselves out. If you actively try and defend more and get to showdown more it should involve more calling and thus your aggresion numbers will start to come down.

good luck.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi akimka,

I looks as if you need to embrace your inner LAG preflop. Your VPIP, pfr, ATSB, and WTSD are all significantly lower than mine. I would recommend trying even harder to expand both your stealing range as well as your isolating range for bad limpers. Furthermore, you can probably defend your BB a little more: start calling with suited trash in raised multiway pots, defend with T8o type hands to steal raises HU, etc.

As far as postflop goes you seem to be over aggresive and are probably not calling enough, but I think if you embrace the LAG in you these should work themselves out. If you actively try and defend more and get to showdown more it should involve more calling and thus your aggresion numbers will start to come down.

good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of this will matter. He should be able to win with these stats on 2/4. This players problem is definately not related to blind steals, blind defence, tightness preflop or low went to showdown. There are things to work with in those areas but I don't think it should be his main focus.

I do think his postflop aggression is too high though.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:39 PM

Tone down that aggression postflop. Not just on the flop, but on every street...you have the looks of a player that plays too tightly preflop (which isn't really a bad thing if you aren't too comfortable postflop), but because you wait so long for playable hands, you have real trouble laying them down or even slowing down with them postflop. This is a huge leak, and will lead your better opponents to call your raises a bit more loosely than they normally would a 16/9 player (increased implied odds when they hit against you). Admittedly not too many 1/2 or 2/4 opponents are going to adjust like that, but expect to see players of that caliber if you continue to take shots at games like 5/10.

I really think that's your biggest problem. Your blind steals/defenses are a bit low, but they should be on relatively passive games like 1/2 & 2/4. You're folding a bit too often before showdown (from the looks of things, primarily on the river), which is a significant leak--there are many times when it's correct to just call a bet on the flop or turn with weak draws like overcards or the like, and more than a few times when it's okay to call a river bet with AK UI or KK on an A-high board. That's just about reading your opponents & figuring out which ones are aggressive enough to take the lead in a hand with less than top pair.

Incidentally, your "downswing" is really more of a breakeven streak...yes, you've lost money over your last 120k hands, but your WR is probably still going to be within your margin of error for such a sample size.

With so many hands I'm going to wager that you're a pretty hardcore multitabler...at least 6 tables at a time? I would highly recommend scaling back to 2 or 3 tables for a while, and using the increased time between decisions to work on developing your reading skills & adjusting your play to specific opponents.

You should also be check/raising just a tad more often, but that's not going to be a serious leak on the limits you play (you can't always count on a 2/4 player to bet for you when you check).
Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hi akimka,

good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think any of this will matter. He should be able to win with these stats on 2/4. This players problem is definately not related to blind steals, blind defence, tightness preflop or low went to showdown. There are things to work with in those areas but I don't think it should be his main focus.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree he probably should be winning with his current stats, but he definitely is not winning the most. EV+ is EV+ is EV+ and when I mentioned loosening his VPIP/pfr/ATSB/WTSD it is because he is losing out on positive EV situations that will increase his winrate.

Yeah he probably has some substantial postflop leaks that we can't see by looking at his stats, but for me one of the biggest things I got out of playing 6max for a while was expanding my blind play ranges and becoming comfortable showing down very marginal hands. Now when I play full ring I probably look kind of laggy to other TAGs, but I'm fairly confident I've increased my expectation. These changes appear in the stats I listed above and so since these are things that can be diagnosed by looking at stats I brought the points up to the OP.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hi akimka,

good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree he probably should be winning with his current stats, but he definitely is not winning the most. EV+ is EV+ is EV+ and when I mentioned loosening his VPIP/pfr/ATSB/WTSD it is because he is losing out on positive EV situations that will increase his winrate.

Yeah he probably has some substantial postflop leaks that we can't see by looking at his stats, but for me one of the biggest things I got out of playing 6max for a while was expanding my blind play ranges and becoming comfortable showing down very marginal hands. Now when I play full ring I probably look kind of laggy to other TAGs, but I'm fairly confident I've increased my expectation. These changes appear in the stats I listed above and so since these are things that can be diagnosed by looking at stats I brought the points up to the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree +EV is +EV and there are things he should work on in the areas you mentioned. I just wanted to stress that he should look at other things first and not believe everything will be ok because he improves on his blindplay.
It's sort of like worrying about if you forgot to turn off the lights at work when your house is on fire.