Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 PM

Default steping out of line (long)

I have noticed a new leak in my game. When playing for extensive durations online I feel I am capable of makeing good reads on players through the use of PT (with GT+) and note taking. Recently I have been getting thrown out of whack when a player "steps out of line" and makes a strange play. From that point on I feel my read may be off. I know it is a good idea to change gears and swithc up you play every once and a while but how do you tell when someone is who appears to be a good player is mixing it up or when they appear to be a good player but really are bad.
Am I putting to much weight on stats and numbers to make my reads? How do you interprut a donk play from someone who you had peged as a solid player?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: steping out of line (long)

Depends how many hands you have on the player. For 100 hands, the tightest rock could appear to be a fish and the worst fish could look like a TAG. Specific notes on players are more valuable than stats. Use stats as one piece of the puzzle.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:27 PM

I consider myself to be a decent player, but there have to be people that think im the biggest donk ever because I do a lot of really dumb things. In small stakes games I think the amount of players who are solid and play that way at ALL times is really limited.

Make a note of the stupid play, maybe it is a constant leak that they overyplay their overpairs or something like that - other than this they could be a flawless player, and a lot of the time when I have similar thoughts about a person I had pegged as decent, as their stats get to the 1,000 hand range they look a lot fishier than the 15/7 I had them at over 100 hands.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:06 PM

In my worthless opinion, tricky play is much better than solid play.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:09 PM

When you see a solid player make a "donk" move, don't assume it was not made without thought. Maybe the donk move is based on a read. Do you sometimes make calls in largish pots with middle pair because you put an opponent on a draw and get egg on your face when he tables a set? The lesson is that you can't throw all of your reads out the window based on a single play or two. Reads are playing the percentages and Ill go with what a villain normally does.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Good players make donk plays. See my location for further details.