Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 01:40 AM

Default opposite day...

mid position MP is very agressive preflop and pretty bad overall. bb is bad loose.

MP raises i call QTdd in sb, bb calls.

flop Q93 rb no diamond. usually i c'r this flop but i bet this time. bb thinks and folds MP calls.

turn J i check.

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: opposite day...

Are you betting the flop hoping to 3-bet, or calling a raise and CRing a nice looking turn card?

I rather bet the turn to give him a chance to raise with a weaker holding. I like the CR on the turn if the player is decent->good, not against a very aggressive overall bad player.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 AM

Explain to me why you checked the turn? Are you checking and calling becuz you have outs and dont want to pay extra in case youre behind? Or are you checking with the intention of raising in an attempt to get full value out of this hand?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 AM

I suspect the latter because he's against an aggressive player, and the flop bet he knows is discounted as far as meaning anything at all....
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect the latter because he's against an aggressive player, and the flop bet he knows is discounted as far as meaning anything at all....

[/ QUOTE ]
Its interesting that you said that becuz I suspected that Barron was checking this turn with the intention of calling. I imagined that his reasoning went something like this: He knows that this aggressive player will always bet if he checks, so checking and calling gets the same amount of money in the pot as betting. But the upside of checking and calling is that barron can never get raised when the aggressive player happens to have a better hand, and barron may also induce the aggressive player to bet a hand with very few outs that the aggressive player mightve even folded had Barron bet out the turn. I really think check raising this turn on this board is a bit over the top for Barron's holding. So thats why I think Barron is checking and calling here. I could be way off here, but thats my best guess.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 AM

ok, but Barron also said that MP is 'very bad' which means I think he expects MP to bet the turn with a wide range of hands. as you also say , I could be way off here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 09:10 AM

Isn't this a good spot to just check call, if u c/r and get 3-bet ur gonna have to peel and have a difficult decision on the river, also the c/r will surely give ur hand away if ur ahead. So check calling the turn and then c/ring the river folding to a 3-bet, would be my play of choice as it gives the opp a rope to hang himself on which c/ring the turn wouldn't. Since u say he is bad can i assume he is showing down a 9 or J if u c/r him on the river.

Am i close?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM

Sounds like from the title of his post that he is intending to check raise this turn... (he would normally check raise the flop and bet the turn, instead he bet the flop and is now check raising the turn).
Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 AM

Works for me. I try to randomize how I play in spots like this.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2005, 10:00 AM

I would almost guarante DC is checkraising the turn here. I like it a lot.

Jeff