Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Screen name change (fatskiis) And some long (LC) expatiation

So i just hit 100k hands at shorthanded, and decided now was as good a time as any to change screenames. The name is fatskiis. I have prolly 45k hands since party split, half at 5/10 half at 10/20 (all the 10/20 this month). Any comments on anything would be appreciated.

(summary at bottom)
I have been continually astounded at how many mistakes I continue to make. I recently tried to record a video but there was so many hands played obviously incorrectly that I felt there was no reason to post it. I tried a few more times and the same thing happened. I have always had a problem with this, but I assumed it would get better with experience. I have, but hardly. If I had to put a number on it, maybe 6 hands per 100 I feel were obviously misplayed, and probably 1.5 per 100 big mistakes like this one. This isnt to say I havent been winning. I am obviously running well, at around 3 BB/100 over my last 60k. Which brings me to my next question.

I am finally starting to make real money at this, and am unsure where to go from here. I have 1500 BBs for 10/20 even though I moved up less then 2 weeks ago. I started playing in march after reading HEPFAP in february. I knew virtually nothing about poker before this year. I started playing seriously only in august. I havent run as well as I am making it sound, I was lucky to fall into a winning style immediately and have had 2 300BB+ downswings. I only just turned 20 and am in college, which I am not enjoying (well the school part anyways). I am seriously thinking about making a (temporary?) career out of this, as I feel I have the skillset to succeed at high limits. It seems 10/20 6m is more profitable then 15/30 full or short. 30/60 is very scary. 20/40 would seem like the logical choice, but I am hesitant because I dont love full and the higher sh games seem very tough. Also, I still have a TON to learn and am risk-averse.

Lastly, have recently considered making some small metagame changes to my game that seem slightly out of line with what most here would agree with. Inpired partly by the DERB and partly by some meditation on Shania, I am calling down way lighter then I used to. I think making some slightly -EV call downs might refund itself. I'm not talking about anything major, my WTSD over this period has been around 40 (my other stats 27.5/18/2.2). For example, I rarely fold A high against standard 10/20 opponents when they call from the BB (or SB or elsewhere if they are loose) and the flop comes raggy or paired. If it is both I never fold. The other small derbish change has been rarely capping some hands preflop against tags I normally would never cap, like 88 or QJs, after I get 3 bet. By rarely I mean around 10%. Lastly, I have started playing quite loose preflop against bad opponents. Some examples would be limping (maybe raising depending on blinds) with hands like Ax, Q7 or even J7s on the button after a 70+ vpip limps, as long as I have a good read of him postflop and he sucks. Another would be 3 betting from the button the top 20%-25% hands after a 50%+ att. steal player raises from CO, especially if I have a good read postflop. I think I might break even or lose moeny on some of these plays but the advertisment of 3 betting with KTs seems to be worth it. The thing about these metagame changes is they seem a bit contradictory. I am trying to decrease my action with the 1st, and increase it with the others. However, a closer look reveals that the specific main objectives of each point do not clash.

...Anyways, sorry for rambling so long and so many question. To summarize:
1) Comments on player sn=fatskiis?
2) How many mistakes do you think you make /100? is 6 way too high?
3) What to do after 10/20? Any general advice for someone in my situation?
4) What do we think about slightly -EV plays for metagame at 10/20+? Which plays specifically are best?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Screen name change (fatskiis) And some long (LC) expatiation

(fatskiis is button)

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Turn: (16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (28 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 32 BB

fatskiis has AJo

I wouldn't recommend moving up anytime soon if you are still making plays as boneheaded at the ones in this hand (this was two days ago.)
Old 11-14-2005, 12:45 AM

I would like an explanation on the preflop cap.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 AM

I dont think I made any large mistakes in that hand.

Preflop I think is good, with postion and the 2 other loose players in. The BB was 72% vpip over a large number of hands and UTG was like 53/26 and I had never seen him limp a strong hand preflop over like 4-500 hands. I get some more controll over the hand which is very good in position, add a tad of deception, and prolly have equity anyways.

Flop call is marginal and the closest play in the hand. I was getting 11 to 1, with 4 nut outs. My implied odds are crazy. If it gets capped behind me, my odds are only 1:8 but again my implied odds are even better and the chances of it getting capped arent high (although if it gets capped people prolly have redraws).

When it came back to me again, I like my cap. How often does this need to buy me a free card to be correct? The pot is now truly gigantic and I will be getting good odds on the turn. I think this buys me a free card often enough. I am losing something like 1/2 a SB for a 25% (i think its actually higher, you could easily have KTs, AK, or even KQ and slow down, or could have a better hand try to c/r me) chance to save myself at least 2 SB on the turn.

Turn call is obvious, getting 11:1 with a double gutter.

I really dont want to be the person who asks for help then argues with good advice. But I dont think my play in this hand was bad.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 AM

we've played a bunch recently. I don't remember anything concrete
Old 11-14-2005, 12:58 AM

you raised turn...
Old 11-14-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you raised turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm button, not hero
Old 11-14-2005, 01:01 AM

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but maybe it came off that way because I was a little bitter about losing that giant pot. I think the pf cap was marginal at best, the first flop call was not good considering the likelyhood of a 3bet/cap when you have only 4-6 likely outs at best. The flop cap after it came back to you was borderline retarded, as you get a free card approximately never, and don't have nearly enough equity to put money in the pot. I also remember some other plays from that session that were very questionable, maybe I'll try to find them if I have time later.

Edit: I also didn't remember you having the double gutter on the turn which makes it slightly less bad.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but maybe it came off that way because I was a little bitter about losing that giant pot. I think the pf cap was marginal at best, the first flop call was not good considering the likelyhood of a 3bet/cap when you have only 4-6 likely outs at best. The flop cap after it came back to you was borderline retarded, as you get a free card approximately never, and don't have nearly enough equity to put money in the pot. I also remember some other plays from that session that were very questionable, maybe I'll try to find them if I have time later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt think you meant anything personal. I would really like more opinions on this, because I think my preflop cap is good, and all the other plays you mention marginal at worst.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 AM

I would really like more opinions on this, because I think my preflop cap is good, and all the other plays you mention marginal at worst.

You aren't gaining any overlay from AJo in a 3-way pot by capping preflop. Especially when the SB is a solid player 3-betting.

You are sandwiched on the flop between the preflop agressor and a raiser. You capped preflop and got bet into on a K high flop, do you feel the SB is just joking??

Your play in this hand is horrible.