Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Newbie chopping questions

I read the faq and it isn't stated in there.

Basically, having *never* chopped nor seen anyone chop to date, I'm wondering how it gets done when the chance arises.

1) if it's folded to me, do I simply ask the BB and then if he agrees we tell the dealer we're chopping and pull our bets back and throw our cards in, or are there strict manners to follow to not anger the floorroom gods?

2) (in vegas) is it pretty much assumed that you don't need to ask for details on how rakes are taken in order to decide if chopping is a good idea? I vaguely know that some (all?) tables take the rake only if a flop is seen, but do I have to ask? Or any other tips?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Newbie chopping questions

if your SB and its folded around to you, just ask
the BB, chop? if nods or says OK then grab your blind.
doesnt have to a ruling by the dealer or anything.
you dont have to chop, you can decide to play, but just
be consistent, either chop or dont.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:52 PM

Yes. Decide before you go if you're going to chop. If you are, ALWAYS chop (either ask or agree). If not, NEVER chop. Don't chop your first 6 times in a session then see AA and decide not to chop.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 PM

Also, don't make the mistake of looking at your cards first, then saying "wanna chop?" I did this inadvertantly, and the guy in the bb got pissed.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:30 PM

Don't worry about manners or rules regarding it. Just say 'chop?' or something equivalent, and when the other guy nods you take your bet back. It is common and don't stress about it.

Do not however, let the table pressure you out of a blind steal from the button. Often when it is folded to me on the button the blinds are already agreeing to chop and the players are getting ready for the next hand. Though I raise here 30%+ of the time.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't make the mistake of looking at your cards first, then saying "wanna chop?" I did this inadvertantly, and the guy in the bb got pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few posters said the same thing. Well in AC low limits, it rarely gets folded around to SB. I'm not in habit of talking to person to my left when I sit down to say wanna chop "if it ever comes up". So when it comes up for first time I ask, having already looked at my cards. (The first time it comes up, I always ask to chop even if dealt AA)
Old 08-13-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: ThinkQuick

Ouick thinking [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 AM

In our local rooms here (WA), chopping is almost universal; it's almost assumed, although the pro forma "Chop?" is always asked.

Exception:

Most of the small rooms around here have a Monte-Carlo type jackpot (not the more typical bad-beat jackpot), where you hit a jackpot if you get quads or straight flush using both cards in your hand (these jackpots are typically 200-300 at most, since obviously quads are hit so much more often than bad-beat conditions).

If either SB or BB has pocket pair or suited connectors, they'll say "I'd like to see the flop". The general agreement is that SB will complete, BB will check, and then both players will simply check through all betting rounds just to see if the cards hit. Either way, both players just take their blinds back afterwards; the player with the better hand doesn't take the other's small bet.

Other than that, chopping is so common that it's considered the norm...the VERY few times I've seen a player who insisted on not chopping, it didn't bother me personally, but the table regulars generally loathe the guy.

Oh...one other exception. If the table gets whittled down, then once it's like 4 or 5 players, there will often be general agreement among the players NOT to chop, since the rake is much reduced at that level, and most pots will be heads-up or at most 3-handed pre-flop anyway.