Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Playing -EV in high stakes = +EV?

We've all read small stakes hold'em. We all know pot odds etc.

Yet when we get to high stakes games like 50/100 and 100/200, a lot of the rules change.

We no longer raise aces every time, we don't always protect our hand and we constantly raise and check-raise with nothing.

All of these are very basic mistakes that I am pointing out to people who just started playing, don't go too far with marginal hands, only raise when you know you got it etc.

Plays like betting on the flop right away with 2 pair as opposed to waiting till turn to check-raise. ALl of these are common schemes on 50/100 I find, whereas they are nowhere to be found in 30/60 and below games.

This confuses me a great bit. Is this what being "tricky" is? This is what separates high stakes players from average crowd?

Discuss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Playing -EV in high stakes = +EV?

This is simply mixing up your play which is what you need to do when you have thinking or semi-cognitive opponent. Small stakes opponents, 3/6 and below(maybe even 5/10) dont really give a thought to "trickiness" and you can go pretty ABC against them.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plays like betting on the flop right away with 2 pair as opposed to waiting till turn to check-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i never do this at low limits.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All of these are very basic mistakes that I am pointing out to people who just started playing...... only raise when you know you got it etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope these people you are 'pointing' this out to aren't your friends.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 AM

Metagame is everything man.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 AM

Doesn't the fact these plays are made to make more money make them +EV? You dont raise/check raise with nothing/limp aces because you believe it is minus EV, you do it because you think that these options give you the highest +EV for the current situation or sitations in the near future.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:16 PM

joe, people think they are playing correctly almost 100% of the time.

Does that make it so? no.

These forums sort of piss me off because unless one of the superstars of high stakes replies to a thread or starts it, the threads just don't go anywhere. It's a very shallow and retarded thing but that's how it is.

People talk of making these forums better, how about not replying with useless one liners? Leave that for OTT.

Yes back to what we were discussing, a reply that makes others wanna chip in would be great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've all read small stakes hold'em. We all know pot odds etc.

Yet when we get to high stakes games like 50/100 and 100/200, a lot of the rules change.

We no longer raise aces every time, we don't always protect our hand and we constantly raise and check-raise with nothing.

All of these are very basic mistakes that I am pointing out to people who just started playing, don't go too far with marginal hands, only raise when you know you got it etc.

Plays like betting on the flop right away with 2 pair as opposed to waiting till turn to check-raise. ALl of these are common schemes on 50/100 I find, whereas they are nowhere to be found in 30/60 and below games.

This confuses me a great bit. Is this what being "tricky" is? This is what separates high stakes players from average crowd?

Discuss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What separates high stakes players from everyone else is generally bankroll and/or a lack of risk aversion along with a strong enough grasp of a particular poker game that in their mind warrants them to play high stakes.

The biggest difference in high(er) stakes games is the aggression level, and since the group of players, like, for instance at 1/2 on party isn't nearly as large as it is for 15/30, players often pickup on specific playing styles from playing with the same opponents so long, and therefore play accordingly, which, to the naked eye might appear as exert, lunatic, passive, or whatever.

The answers to your questions can be found in the archives. I agree that the forums have a little excess arrogance, but IMHO, this post wont spark any good discussion because it's already been discussed ten times over.

Tex
Old 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM

"Yet when we get to high stakes games like 50/100 and 100/200 ... We no longer raise aces every time, we don't always protect our hand and we constantly raise and check-raise with nothing."

We do? Call me stubborn, call me predictable, but I intend to continue raising with aces and to protect my hand and to not raise and checkraise with nothing at all limits until death do I part.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:36 PM

"Plays like betting on the flop right away with 2 pair as opposed to waiting till turn to check-raise. ALl of these are common schemes on 50/100 I find, whereas they are nowhere to be found in 30/60 and below games."

If someone start to bet flop with goods playing high stakes always - it'll also will be a mistake, while making this thing at low limit _always_ will be better. (I'm excluding opponent factor here)

High limits, especially full games are about finding correct frequencies to do different things with the same cards, while small stakes are about finding correct plays/odds/opponents. There are usually a lot of correct lines in high stakes hands. Basic "correct" play is called "standart" i guess. Others are correct if used some % of time in correct spots.

It's like Blackjack. If any Blackjack pays 2:1 - there is no need to count cards - you can make a lot of money without counting but only using basic strategy, if Blackjack pays 3:2 - you need to count cards to get an edge and make occasional plays (depending on true count), distinctive from basic strategy some % of time.

If blackjack pays 1:1 - you should quit a game unless you have good rakeback:-)