Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Bubble Play - ITM vs Aggressive

Last night I was having a fun time in the $200k on Party. I satellited in on my first try, so was looking at about a $24 investment.

As the bubble started to approach I believe my M was in the Harrington orange zone. I have multiple opportunities to push (AQs from middle position, JJ from UTG, 99 from LP, etc.) and passed on them all to be sure to rake in the $245 ITM payout.

Of course I did make the money, but was left with 2xBB. Pushed and stole the blinds and then got kicked when my A8s ran into AQo.

I questioned my play quite a bit all day today. I vow to never again play for the bubble, but rather go for the win. Yes, I will get busted out occasionally but will give myself a real chance at $50k plus payout.

Is this the "correct" approach to bubble play? When I have a high M, I do very well attacking and being aggressive around the bubble, but I'm unsure of myself when I'm at a real risk of busting out but can be almost sure to make it if I just fold every hand.

Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Bubble Play - ITM vs Aggressive

I've recently come to that sort of Epiphany. I used to let myself get bled out waiting for the money (assuming I wasn't deep stacked) then try to be aggressive after. It never really worked.

Lately, I've been getting aggressive when low. Pushing frequently up to M=12 or so. Like someone said, if you can push and nobody will call at M=10, now your stack is M=11. As long as i'm not pushing with crap, I feel I have a shot.

Anyway, long story short, I've been hitting the money in a much better position. i've decided, as you have, that busting out cuz I lost a coinflip that would have put me in good position is worth it. If not, you limp in and you're out pretty much after.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 AM

So many other players are looking to just make the money, that once you build a big stack you can start stealing like crazy. Your fold equity is huge and you can often lower your opening raise to 2x or 2.5x the big blind and still steal succesfully.

I don't play a lot of MTTs, but I can usually double my stack during the bubble without going to showdown.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:47 AM

no way, especially with hands like JJ UTG, AQs, and 99, you can easily double up here and be in the running
Old 12-12-2005, 03:00 AM

What do you think?

If you're folding JJ, 99, AQ how do you expect to make it
to the final table? Does the $245 mean that much to you?
If you need it to pay for the gas fine, but, otherwise
you're a weak tighty on the bubble.
Bruce
Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Aggressive players take advantage of people that play like this to make it deeper into the money. While you are giving your money away with JJ, 99 and AQ aggressive players are taking it with 32o, 72o, busted draws and bottom pair.