Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: I want the forums to be split...

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, but: a) I'm not sure how much I see this; b) the point of a discussion board is to actually have discussion, and if "good" posters are going to make assertions with no argumentation to support them, people challenging this and asking questions is a good thing, not bad; c) even if we thought it was bad, there is no possible universe that we have access to where such a thing could happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

A.) I don't know if you would actually see this effect other than good posters not posting. Even then you wouldn't know why they don't post anymore.

B.) I was not suggesting they shouldn't be challenged in their assertions/argumentations. That's just dumb. The good stuff comes out during the argument. This is why I made points about them not being infallible and not having a members only forum. New posters are still allowed to post, but most of the crap will be redirected.

[ QUOTE ]
Replying with complete garbage is a different beast from questioning and disagreeing. Usually if somebody has proven themself to be an idiot, it's easy enough to point that out and let that be the end of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't get rid of the frustration, or the waste of space they create and the increase in difficulty to get to the "good stuff".

[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet is obviously a very good poker player, but frankly I don't think he's much as a 2+2 STT poster

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, but he clearly stated why he didn't like posting here. And I think we can at least learn that this effect probably isn't only felt by him.

[ QUOTE ]
A FAQ would be great, but it looks like the momentum for that has been lost. I honestly think that if people could leave (sustainable ROI/folding KK PF/etc.) questions alone or answer them quietly and quickly instead of everybody having to jump on and flame the person who asked, a lot of the "garbage" would die a pretty quick death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a good amount would die. Perhaps it would be enough to make the forum sustainable enough to produce a significantly higher quality. I have no objections to trying that alternative first. But I think splitting the forum would be a more sure-fire way of having the same effect, especially since you won't have nearly as many low limit players responding to high limit posts.

[ QUOTE ]
But I think what would be smart is to direct different types of traffic to different places to manage all this information we have, and encourage the growth of the entire community. Overwhelming amounts of garbage stifles the growth and quality of a community.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
While your last point is true, I don't think there's really any good way to organize things so that people put their garbage in the right spot, since I think it's a pretty small percentage of posters who feel they are posting garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think splitting it into high and low buyin sngs is an easy way to start. Most of the junk comes from low buyin posters.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think splitting it into high and low buyin sngs is an easy way to start. Most of the junk comes from low buyin posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's going to stop these posters from posting stuff that you don't like in the high-buyin forum? Absolutely nothing. If you say that they can get flamed and sent back to the other forum, you don't really need a forum split to do that.

Also, I don't think this forum has a problem with people not showing sufficient respect to the established; if anything, it probably goes too far the other way. I really don't see that as being the problem.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:45 PM

new posters arent posting to piss off or irritate its out of understandable ignorance but they want help and are most likely low limit players, the NL forum works that when a stupid or misplaced post is placed in high stakes a simple response of this is for small stakes is sufficient, here there is no way of doing that so all the crap builds up.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 PM

You're right that mid/high NL is a good forum. I'm not convinced that splitting the SNG forum is going to bring all kinds of good posters back out of the woodwork, though. It might have something to do with SNGs being the kindergarten of poker, after all.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Didn't we just have a thread on this last week? And the week before?

Anyway, poker's popularity has turned 2+2 from a sort of cultish site to one that's much more mainstream, and there's nothing we can really do to change that. Dividing forums up is not really going to eliminate any fools, just channel them more precisely.

Poker's popularity is something we're just stuck with for a while -- which may not be a bad thing for obvious reasons. Yet it probably inevitably screws up the quality of the site by creating more white noise to wade through. There's not an endeavor on earth probably wherein expertise is more common than mediocrity or courtesy esteemed over being a lame smart aleck. Same for poker.

It's just going to be harder to find the wheat mixed in with the chaff. We can sulk about it or rail about it, or quit attending the forums. But the forums themselves won't change. You might as well ask human nature or the planet to change. Not happening.

So the question is how much do we want to whine about it and how easily will we accept being defeated by refusing to do our part to make the community better and more interesting instead of duller or worse. It's a "physician, heal thyself" thing, because what others do is out of our control. And lamenting that is pointless.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:32 PM

No, there's no way to get rid off *all* of the crap. People can post whatever they want. And I'm not arguing for a perfect solution - I'm arguing for something better than the way it is now.

But you don't think it would be useful for the majority of the crap to be directed to one place? You honestly don't think most of the crap we see today wouldn't just end up in the small stakes forum, whereas the better posts wouldn't tend to end up in the higher buyin forum?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dividing forums up is not really going to eliminate any fools, just channel them more precisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all I'm arguing and I don't see how people don't think this would be useful.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:39 PM

How about Mat just gives certain posters in this forum who post a ton and will keep trash out, moderator privledges. These few can just delete threads (while then pming them a link to a faq and/or a quick answer).

We could even call them the 'we stop baby jesus from crying police' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Luminous
Old 06-22-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm not sure I'd trust anyone in this forum with that privilege. There's more skill than perspective here by far, and a fair bit of cliquishness. From what I can see, having a forum moderator choosing which posts should be allowed would be pretty much putting the kids in charge of the candy store and would probably drive down the value of this forum a lot.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:17 PM

i think it would improve the forum but could never be done.