Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: I want the forums to be split...

Splitting the forum will solve nothing, in my opinion. The problem does not stem from too much low-level content vs. too little high-level content but, in my opinion, interesting questions vs. uninteresting (ROI related, very simple push/fold situations) questions. Splitting the forum doesn't seem likely to make more of the latter appear magically. Good posts from good posters are fairly obvious, generally, and easy to find. It's just that at the moment many of the more respected posters are more interested in making jokes about Yugo and Calcuttas and so on than making poker posts, and so people don't have easy criteria for picking out what they should read for actual poker content. It is a bit of a quandary, but there's no simple solution other than trying to create signal rather than noise.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's bump this thread until the end of time. Poignant, ironic, colonic, well played nh gc nb neehaaaaaaa.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUMP hoooooooray beer!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:43 PM

one 'here, here' for freemoney: typical 2+2 thread lately
1) has anybody ever played w/ this guy?
2)yes
3)that's not possible, you're wrong.
4-20) beavis, buthead, the simpson's, and the reminder of teenage boys soaping their armpits in the showers so they can make 'frog noises'...........h
Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem does not stem from too much low-level content vs. too little high-level content but, in my opinion, interesting questions vs. uninteresting (ROI related, very simple push/fold situations) questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course asking good questions will generate more "high level" content.

But you don't think the better posters would like it if they didn't have to deal with all the inexperienced posters challenging them all the time? Now, the better posters are nowhere near infallible, but a lot of the times they're making an semi-intelligent point if not a correct one, but have an inexperienced poster replying with complete garbage. And it's understandably frustrating.

I recall Gigabet mentioning he hates posting here because of the inexperienced players replying to his posts, usually with hostility or insinuating that he's an idiot. Paul Phillips has left the WPT/MTT forums because of childish replies (usually stemming, again, from inexperienced posters). Neither ever posted a whole lot, but they were good posters and those were two that came to my mind. I'm sure there are plenty of others who've gone unspoken; you just happen not to see their posts anymore. Did they stop because they lost interest in poker? They thought it was too -EV? Because they were sick of all the crap that's here that they have to weed through?

I'm NOT suggesting that we have a "members only" club for only the elite posters. For one, I'm not invited. Plus this probably would never work and discourages the ongoing building of a community. But I think what would be smart is to direct different types of traffic to different places to manage all this information we have, and encourage the growth of the entire community. Overwhelming amounts of garbage stifles the growth and quality of a community.

To take it to an extreme: Do you think if we made this whole forum one big message board so that everyone would have to wade through thousands of posts to get to one they're interested in, that the quality of posts would decline? Would the best posters still hang around? Why or why not?

In the end, I doubt it would happen anyway. We can't even get a FAQ stickied.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Just my luck, treeofwisdom proves my point...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But you don't think the better posters would like it if they didn't have to deal with all the inexperienced posters challenging them all the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but: a) I'm not sure how much I see this; b) the point of a discussion board is to actually have discussion, and if "good" posters are going to make assertions with no argumentation to support them, people challenging this and asking questions is a good thing, not bad; c) even if we thought it was bad, there is no possible universe that we have access to where such a thing could happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, the better posters are nowhere near infallible, but a lot of the times they're making an semi-intelligent point if not a correct one, but have an inexperienced poster replying with complete garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replying with complete garbage is a different beast from questioning and disagreeing. Usually if somebody has proven themself to be an idiot, it's easy enough to point that out and let that be the end of that.

[ QUOTE ]
I recall Gigabet mentioning he hates posting here because of the inexperienced players replying to his posts, usually with hostility or insinuating that he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabet is obviously a very good poker player, but frankly I don't think he's much as a 2+2 STT poster (I realize I'll be in the minority on this one.) His posts are generally either excessively vague, combative, not that relevant to SNG poker, or some combination of the above. There are exceptions, obviously, but posts like this one which attained near legendary status could be boiled down to "To play poker well, you need to make good reads and run with them," which is hardly anything revolutionary. It is too bad that people treat him with hostility and like he's an idiot; however, this seems to be the default approach of about 1/3 of the posters in this forum to anybody they disagree with, so it's not like he's being singled out in that regard. (I'd be happy to see this change, too, but it will never happen.)

I guess my point is that I don't think this forum suffers because we don't have enough name-brand supermen of Internet poker posting on a regular basis, but because not enough ordinary people are posting interesting SNG poker questions. How do people get a sense for what's interesting? I lurked in the forum for a couple of months before beginning to post, and had a sense for what kinds of questions were fair game. A FAQ would be great, but it looks like the momentum for that has been lost. I honestly think that if people could leave (sustainable ROI/folding KK PF/etc.) questions alone or answer them quietly and quickly instead of everybody having to jump on and flame the person who asked, a lot of the "garbage" would die a pretty quick death.

[ QUOTE ]
Did they stop because they lost interest in poker? They thought it was too -EV? Because they were sick of all the crap that's here that they have to weed through?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say. Each will have their own reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
But I think what would be smart is to direct different types of traffic to different places to manage all this information we have, and encourage the growth of the entire community. Overwhelming amounts of garbage stifles the growth and quality of a community.

[/ QUOTE ]

While your last point is true, I don't think there's really any good way to organize things so that people put their garbage in the right spot, since I think it's a pretty small percentage of posters who feel they are posting garbage.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Start your own club....

and then take it somewhere else.

The rest of us like inanity. Even Yugo style.

Doc

(Either that, or we are able to discern the good posts from the junk which is occaisionally humorous, and usually easily ignored.)
Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 PM

i mean there are good posters who are bright enough and want to learn who could be successful in the the higher limits who play 10+1's and stuff but i feel like the NL mid-high stakes forum runs much smoother due to the split, i dont know if thats the best solution or something but i know that the endless horrible posts really hurt this forum.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 PM

we should split this forum just because some a.sses like you and a few other people like to ping newbies. thats my only problem with most of the complaints i get. sorry if im ignorant but you were too. showing no class is a big problem. this forum would be much better if @ssholes wouldnt ping others.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:20 PM

I think I make good posts, no?