Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: To believe or not to believe - that is the quesiton.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, just like it except none of the made up bullsh!t.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had the passion for my religion that you have against religion. Ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanted this type of response based on this thread you created, and I'll bet you wanted it just for a comment like that.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wiki:

"Atheism, in its broadest sense, is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods, thus contrasting with theism. This definition includes both those who assert that there are no gods and those who have no beliefs at all regarding the existence of gods. However, narrower definitions often only qualify the former as atheism, the latter falling under the more general term nontheism.

Although atheists often share common concerns regarding evidence and the scientific method of investigation and a large number are skeptics or humanists, there is no single ideology that all atheists share. Additionally, many atheists are not entirely irreligious; there are atheists who are religious or spiritual despite their lack of belief in gods.

[/ QUOTE ]

So unless one knows what a certain atheists thinks in particular, it is kind of like talking to a believer if one does not know if he is a Jew or a Catholic and only knowing that he is a believer in something.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had the passion for my religion that you have against religion. Ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanted this type of response based on this thread you created, and I'll bet you wanted it just for a comment like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I honestly thought there was a difference between athiests and agnostics. I wish I was as good at game theory as you suggest.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wiki:

"Atheism, in its broadest sense, is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods, thus contrasting with theism. This definition includes both those who assert that there are no gods and those who have no beliefs at all regarding the existence of gods. However, narrower definitions often only qualify the former as atheism, the latter falling under the more general term nontheism.

Although atheists often share common concerns regarding evidence and the scientific method of investigation and a large number are skeptics or humanists, there is no single ideology that all atheists share. Additionally, many atheists are not entirely irreligious; there are atheists who are religious or spiritual despite their lack of belief in gods.

[/ QUOTE ]

So unless one knows what a certain atheists thinks in particular, it is kind of like talking to a believer if one does not know if he is a Jew or a Catholic and only knowing that he is a believer in something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atheism means a-theism. i.e., against theism. So, yes, naturally the term does not specify everything someone thinks, just that they are against theism. Kind of like how the term "male" doesn't specify my politics. Is this all really that difficult?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I honestly thought there was a difference between athiests and agnostics. I wish I was as good at game theory as you suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you could have just asked that question rather than your mocking original post -- ("Until all the “geniuses” agree to what to believe (think) how are we mortals supposed to know? Please, we are looking for guidance from you. Get back to us ASAP.")
Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, you could have just asked that question rather than your mocking original post -- ("Until all the “geniuses” agree to what to believe (think) how are we mortals supposed to know? Please, we are looking for guidance from you. Get back to us ASAP.")

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a valid point. Pardon my ignorance of atheism/agnosticism. From previous posts here on the forum, I got the impression that there was a difference. I think I have edified someof us enough regarding some misconceptions about (my )religion (not saying the edification amounted to anything of importance) that I am entitled to a faux pas.

Can we agree on this: That to believe that “there is absolutely no possibility of a God” is as “silly” a thinking as how agnostics view what believers think (them silly) about their religion?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a valid point. Pardon my ignorance of atheism/agnosticism. From previous posts here on the forum, I got the impression that there was a difference. I think I have edified someof us enough regarding some misconceptions about (my )religion (not saying the edification amounted to anything of importance) that I am entitled to a faux pas.

Can we agree on this: That to believe that “there is absolutely no possibility of a God” is as “silly” a thinking as how agnostics view what believers think (them silly) about their religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read some of my prev posts and I have already stated that such a statement cannot be supported. Unfortunately, theists like you seem to want to use that as some sort of argument for their side, which is absurd.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:30 PM

Agnostics are atheists who haven't come out of the closet yet. Think homosexuals in the 1950's.
Either that, or they are 99.9999999% sure there is no god, but they are hedging their bets "just in case"
I think agnostics are gutless, and I probably have more disdain for them than I do for "true believers". Theists (in whatever denomination) just don't know any better, which is sad, but more palatable than people who profess to be agnostic or theists for public consumption but know better.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agnostics are atheists who haven't come out of the closet yet. Think homosexuals in the 1950's.
Either that, or they are 99.9999999% sure there is no god, but they are hedging their bets "just in case"
I think agnostics are gutless, and I probably have more disdain for them than I do for "true believers". Theists (in whatever denomination) just don't know any better, which is sad, but more palatable than people who profess to be agnostic or theists for public consumption but know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

See RJT, its pointless. This whole thread so far followed by a post that uses different meanings of athiest/agnostic to reach a dubious conclusion.

chez
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See RJT, its pointless. This whole thread so far followed by a post that uses different meanings of athiest/agnostic to reach a dubious conclusion.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Chez,

It is indeed difficult to discuss things with one who won’t state anything specific. Kind of like Judo, in Judo the hero doesn’t actually ever attack just divert the opponent. Kid likes to do that. He seems to divert the question/discussion to: Well you guys do/say this. It is not my place to define atheists/agnostics. I used the friggin’ dictionary. That obviously was an error on my part.

I will ask this, before I get into another discussion with an A (I’ll just use the letter for now to mean whatever it is we are talking about atheist/agnostics), do you(said person) believe in the possibility of a god or that it is not at all possible. Like I would advise A’s to do when talking religion: Are you Jewish or Christian, if Christian what denomination, etc. Or better yet, to not even begin to discuss things with folk who are not interested in furthering the conversation as you are, chez. From now on I’ll just say to those not interested in serious conversation, “You are right.”

Oh,well, such is life.

RJT