Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 08:22 PM

Default 76o BB

40/80 live game is running 4-handed. The Button open-raises as I'm guessing he'll do maybe 60% of the time. He's a regular in this game and I'm not and I haven't played many hands in this session and have shown down even fewer and I'm pretty sure that he thinks I might fold too much. He's ordinarily a pretty good player but has been drinking and riled up some by a LAG who was at the table earlier and has been getting crazy with semibluffs and so forth.

Anyway Button open-raises, SB folds, I 3-bet from the BB with 76o, he calls.

The flop is QJ6 I think with a flush draw I bet, he raises, I call.

Turn is a total blank I check he bets I call.

The river is a K. In order of ascending absurdity, should I

check-fold
check-call
bet-fold
bet-call
check-raise

???
Old 05-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: 76o BB

i think you should have called PF and C/R the flop.

but i dunno what to do on the river, I'm leaving towards check/fold because I don't know what kind of hand he will still be pushing that you beat. if you think he can play Ax that hard until the river it might be worth a call but otherwise i feel it's a muck.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Bet-fold would be my choice.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you should have called PF and C/R the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call preflop 99% of the time but this is that 1%. The game had gone from 8-handed to 4-handed pretty quickly and I think he'd tried to steal my blind maybe 4 times out of 5 since then. I wanted to do something "noisy" to alter the way I was perceived and I felt I had do it fairly soon.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:35 PM

If you truly think he's raising 60% preflop and trying to run you over, induce the bluff. And while you're busy inducing, add another bet and c/r.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 PM

Where's the bet/3-bet?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 PM

I don't play nearly this high, so this is probably a basic question to you guys. Why play with 76o? I understand the raise, to take control from a possible steal raise, but why not just fold and wait for a stronger hand?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:16 PM

check/call, you spewed that many chips into the pot on the 1% time you were going to play it this way for image reasons, atleast you have to show this badboy down.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:20 PM

the most absurd thing would be to bet-3-bet-5-bet. that or get up and hit him over the head with a beer bottle. but then again i'm not making any sense because i'm a college student on a lazy wednesday night. whatever that means.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:48 PM

I think check/calling is about the only thing that works here. Any kind of raising is just out of the question, because there is nothing he'd call with that you beat.

I also think that due to the 'pissing contest' nature of the hand, and the fact that niether of you seems to be crediting the other with much of a hand, its unlikely you could bet or C/R him off the best hand in a headsup pot that big.

In addition, i think that in this situation, a check/fold is too weak simply because yeah, if he bets the river theres a decent chance its a value bet and you are beaten, it also sounds like a situation where the guy might fire the last barrel with any hand at all, so my take on this is that youve gotten yourself in this pot up to your eyeballs, for better or worse, and youve got to call it down and hope YHIG.

I have been in many of these situations in big live HU games, and it a real bitch.

You could conceivably bet/fold, and theres an infinitesimal chance that he'd fold a hand like 88--but i wouldnt bet on it (no pun intended)