Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Does the IRS consider the Party Pattern Mapper an allowed deduction?

Just wondering, as I'm getting my taxes done right now.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Does the IRS consider the Party Pattern Mapper an allowed deductio

If you are a professional that you are able to deduct legitimate business expenses.....including things like a new monitor, software like pokertracker, 2+2 books, etc.

Obviously your pattern-mapper qualifies in this category....unless, of course, you have an old one...in which case the IRS will laugh at you for trying to claim a deduction on an item that obviously was purchased for your own amusement and will not directly benefit your game.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Does the IRS consider the Party Pattern Mapper an allowed deduction?

I'm sure Diablo would oblige by showing them the 10k that you sent him.

Lori
Old 02-16-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Does the IRS consider the Party Pattern Mapper an allowed deduction?

And don't forget to deduct a portion of your electricity bills for powering your computer.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And don't forget to deduct a portion of your electricity bills for powering your computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's huge, man. Thanks for the tip. Right now, I've got six machines running Winholdem 24/7 on the microlimits, and they eat up a lot of juice to say the least.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:31 PM

Given the utility of a high quality pattern mapper and the nature of its use, I don't think you can take it as a straight deduction. Probably need to depreciate it.

And I'm guessing you need to depreciate over 2 or 3 years -- it is so difficult to determine the useful life of these things convincingly for the IRS, but assuming you're going with a top of the line mapper (and you really should be, of course), I doubt you can get away with less than a 2 year schedule.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:51 PM

I don't think you need to depreciate your pattern mapper given that Party will likely change the pattern soon thus requiring a new map and rendering the old one useless.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:00 PM

Unless you have one of the latest ones which will automatically adjust to find the new map.