Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Learning...

This post is inspried primarily by the 452 post thread about whether not BK should hire Tommy Angelo. Every time Tommy's name comes up in any thread, it gets hijacked because someone thinks he doesn't deserve the credit he gets as poker player and that their 2 year track record of making more money than him means they have nothing to learn. For the vets on this board, what i am going to say is nothing new to you, so it obviously doesnt apply in your cases.

The people who become the best poker players always want to learn. They can learn things very quickly from better players, and they can learn stuff from players worse than them. Someone came up with a good example of this in HUSH a while ago. If there are 1000 things that make you a perfect player, and you have 850 of them, you can still learn different things from someone who only does 700 of the 1000 things correctly. In the specific case of Tommy A., i think some of his suggestions reagrding hand selctin from the blinds and not raising AK preflop would hurt my earn. I also 100% positive that i could learn an incredibly amount from him in always playing my A game, adjusting to table conditions, etc...

My main point is that it doesnt matter if you think you are better than someone, you can still learn from them. Although it's slightly amusing having people come in and whip out their E-Dick only to have Andyfox, El Diablo and come company tell them they are wrong, i just think there is a bit too much on these boards. Anyway, as is obvious by now, my point here is always try to learn and have respect for people, especially people who have being doing this a while. Making more money than Tommy when you play 10x as many hands as him is not all that impressive. PLaying poker for 13 years professionally, changing with the times, and being a guy who still wants to learn, that is impressive.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Learning...

[ QUOTE ]
If there are 1000 things that make you a perfect player, and you have 850 of them, you can still learn different things from someone who only does 700 of the 1000 things correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-26-2005, 02:33 PM

If anything the lesser player keeps you fresh cause they keep asking questions and you have to think about stuff and try to explain it to them and if they're a good learner they'll ask follow up questions that take it even further.

Complacency is bad.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anything the lesser player keeps you fresh cause they keep asking questions and you have to think about stuff and try to explain it to them and if they're a good learner they'll ask follow up questions that take it even further.

Complacency is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true. I don't play as high as some of my friends, but as soon as we get onto a pool table things change. While I know more than they do, the questions they put to me, and the explanation I'm forced to give for why a certain shot is better than another, has always given something back to me as well. Great point BK.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:50 PM

Well said.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post is inspried primarily by the 452 post thread about whether not BK should hire Tommy Angelo. Every time Tommy's name comes up in any thread, it gets hijacked because someone thinks he doesn't deserve the credit he gets as poker player and that their 2 year track record of making more money than him means they have nothing to learn. For the vets on this board, what i am going to say is nothing new to you, so it obviously doesnt apply in your cases.

The people who become the best poker players always want to learn. They can learn things very quickly from better players, and they can learn stuff from players worse than them. Someone came up with a good example of this in HUSH a while ago. If there are 1000 things that make you a perfect player, and you have 850 of them, you can still learn different things from someone who only does 700 of the 1000 things correctly. In the specific case of Tommy A., i think some of his suggestions reagrding hand selctin from the blinds and not raising AK preflop would hurt my earn. I also 100% positive that i could learn an incredibly amount from him in always playing my A game, adjusting to table conditions, etc...

My main point is that it doesnt matter if you think you are better than someone, you can still learn from them. Although it's slightly amusing having people come in and whip out their E-Dick only to have Andyfox, El Diablo and come company tell them they are wrong, i just think there is a bit too much on these boards. Anyway, as is obvious by now, my point here is always try to learn and have respect for people, especially people who have being doing this a while. Making more money than Tommy when you play 10x as many hands as him is not all that impressive. PLaying poker for 13 years professionally, changing with the times, and being a guy who still wants to learn, that is impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to believe you are only a Freshman in college. Nice post.

- Jags
Old 10-26-2005, 03:00 PM

You are wise beyond your years.

This is why I don't feel bad about making strategy post on 2+2 even though I am mediocre at poker.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Good post...This is the downfall of most good live players. They will never become more than good live players because they think since they can beat an easy game, they dont need to learn anymore. Especialy when that game is the biggest in the room (canterbury)
Old 10-26-2005, 03:02 PM

group hug everyone?

<font color="white"> awwww shucks. I liked it too. </font>

</font>
Old 10-26-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post...This is the downfall of most good live players. They will never become more than good live players because they think since they can beat an easy game, they dont need to learn anymore. Especialy when that game is the biggest in the room (canterbury)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Those guys are so funny. They all wonder why they can't win online...well duh...it's cause the canterbury 30/60 game is freaking ez and the online games are wayyyyyyyy harder in general.