Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 01:35 AM

Default extracting the minimum from a flopped boat

This is embarrassing -- I think I figured out how to extract the minimum out of this hand. There's got to be a better line than the one I took. At the very least, a bet of 200 on the river might've gotten a call.

What's the best line in a situation like this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t740)
Hero (t680)
UTG (t890)
UTG+1 (t700)
UTG+2 (t1190)
MP1 (t730)
MP2 (t770)
MP3 (t775)
CO (t505)
Button (t1020)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t150) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, UTG calls t80, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t80, SB folds.

River: (t390) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t570 (all-in)</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: t390
Old 02-17-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: extracting the minimum from a flopped boat

Well, the turn bet completely blows your plan to extract the minimum, although technically you could fold instead of checking but I'm not sure if that would count. It's an interesting semantical question.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:59 AM

evidently this board is drawless so you hope to get action from other trip 9, and a bit from almost all pocket pair and turn/river pairs

I'd probably bet half the pot to see where others are, and perhaps even get raised. Keep betting "callable" bets until the river and hope they hit something. if raised, check/call turn and allin on river, hopefully you built a big pot where opponent can't fold.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:01 AM

I think you played it fine until river. This is a perfect chance to check and feign weakness. There's a good chance that the KT who called your turn bet will think he's best, and take a stab at the pot.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a good chance that the KT who called your turn bet will think he's best, and take a stab at the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if he's even a half decent player.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's a good chance that the KT who called your turn bet will think he's best, and take a stab at the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if he's even a half decent player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do we give everyone credit for being a half decent player?

Then bet out 100. Look weak that way. Or repeat your turn bet. That's often a sign that you top pair but are afraid of the kicker. Whatever the case, a push here accomplishes little. You're almost never getting called.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:32 AM

I'd throw out a weakish 100-150ish bet. You'll probably get a call from a king here and if your lucky a slow played nine with come alive. But the all-in doesn't accomplish anything.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:12 AM

What were you trying to represent with the all-in? A missed-flush-draw desperation bluff?
I actually think it's an ok bet size at the $10s. If anyone has a K they'll call you anyway. They're much more likely to fold a 2 or a 7 or a medium pair than if you make a smaller bet, but then again you'll be getting more chips when they do call. They're bound to get suspicious because it's not clear what you could have completed, and suspicious $10 players like to play sheriff.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 AM

It might not be the worst play to check on the river. If somebody bets it great. If it gets checked around and they see you checked a boat, they might give your checks some respect in future pots. Otherwise bet 150-200 and hope you get a call.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:48 AM

Yeah, 200 on the river would've been a lot better. Your allin will only be called by a 9, and a 9 probably would've given you all his chips by now.

I really, really don't like checking the river. Good players check behind with a K, and weak players will check behind with a K. There are 3 players seeing the river, so you are unlikely to induce a bluff by checking.