Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: As a broke \"pro\" which game would you play...? (some stats)

[ QUOTE ]
100k hands a month. wow. good luck to you man im envious of your capability in doing that. as a 20 year old immature idiot i really dont have the life experience of knowing what hard work making ends meat is. i mean ive definitely gone through struggles in my life for sure, but i dont know what its like to wake up for a 9-5er for years upon years. if i knew what that was like putting in full time hours of poker might be alot less challenging.

good luck in your poker career and i hope youll enjoy the game as much as the success youll have.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sob you're only 20...ay...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100k hands a month. wow. good luck to you man im envious of your capability in doing that. as a 20 year old immature idiot i really dont have the life experience of knowing what hard work making ends meat is. i mean ive definitely gone through struggles in my life for sure, but i dont know what its like to wake up for a 9-5er for years upon years. if i knew what that was like putting in full time hours of poker might be alot less challenging.

good luck in your poker career and i hope youll enjoy the game as much as the success youll have.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt read much of this thread, but i think instead of 10 tabling 5/10 you should 4 table 10/20. youd probably achieve the same winrate if you were good and it would be a step towards 6-8 tabling , meaning you'd get a lot more money.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely believe this is true. I'm 24 and a friend of mine that I've basically walked through poker with, a poster here, is also 24, and he's also quitting his job. He is married. He has all the motivation in the world to play many hands instead of working at McD's or J Crew as a donkey. We're still not talking more than 40ish hours a week, plus study. I guess it's like being in school and working a job, only we determine our hours to study.

I really think if more 2+2ers were in their upper 20's, they'd play a lot more hands while the gettin's goot.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt read much of this thread, but i think instead of 10 tabling 5/10 you should 4 table 10/20. youd probably achieve the same winrate if you were good and it would be a step towards 6-8 tabling , meaning you'd get a lot more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent a good portion of my BR which I plan on replenishing through RB, but at this time, it's only like $6,200 (true BR is about $10k and I was planning on 10/20 at $12k).

And swings at 10/20 are worse because my edge is less. I don't know...I haven't been at 5/10 long. I'm giving it a month to see what happens.

There is still a lot of GoT type of off-table study that I wanted to do before 10/20. Not many people here do that, or at least people don't like to post it, but our forum would be insane if we did. There would be no need for books or reading archives. Anyway, I'm going to eat.

M
Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 AM

I'd say wait for 15k before heading to 10/20 for any significant amount of time...taking a few shots is fine, but keep in mind that things can go horribly wrong for absurd amounts of time jut due to variance. (Insert generic 400BB donwswing over 17k comment here)

Surf
Old 10-25-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have two options, play more hours, or dont take out 2k a month.
You expect to ply 15 hours and make atleast 2k a month? Thats 133 $ per hr. It is not possible to do this with your roll safely.
Its pretty simple. If you want to try 5-10 or 10-20 or 15-30 go ahead but be prepared to lose your roll and your career.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 hours a week...stay calm
Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you go to showdown waaaaayyyyy toooooooo much.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. i got around 37% and people tell me that's too high. also, high showdown % results in higher variance IMO.

good luck to you though man. 3/6 is a grind but i know you can beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 3/6 i'd agree I showdown way too much but i beleive some pretty big winners seemed to feel a 40% showdown with 50% won worked pretty well for them at 10/20.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as a 20 year old immature idiot i really dont have the life experience of knowing what hard work making ends meat is. i mean ive definitely gone through struggles in my life for sure, but i dont know what its like to wake up for a 9-5er for years upon years. if i knew what that was like putting in full time hours of poker might be alot less challenging.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I work 40-50 hrs/wk in software development, and the more interminable meetings I suffer through, the more idiots I dutifully placate, the easier it becomes to still put in 30 hrs/wk 4-tabling 10/20.

Hopefully soon I will muster the nerve to go for it and turn pro...and when that happens, a relaxing 60 hrs/wk playing will be elysium. Elysium I tell you!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 AM

You cant play 60 hours a week as a pro.

When you are working and playing poker it is easy to put in long hours because you are mentally fresh and have the motivation (i gotta get better at poker so i can quit this crap job and live the life).

When you actually go pro it is very draining to play poker all the time. 30-40 hours of actual play time is realistic for people who dont play that many tables but 20-30 is more so for your average 6-8 tabler.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a great man once said, if youre going to spend an hour chopping down a tree you need to spend 40 minutes sharpening the blade.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sharpening the blade for 40 minutes is only +EV if you can now cut the tree down in under 20 minutes.