Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Negreanu Criticizes the WSOP \'s one-dimensional lineup

Ever since Harrah's took over they've [censored] the WSOP up. I mean what's the difference if they used 10 tables for a mixed event ? They still get there buy fees, still have to pay a dealer, and there's still 9 players at each table. Anyone think it's possible a lot of players might do a boycott of the WSOP like they did the WPT ? Wonder what would happen if they went to Jack Binion and formed some sort of newer WSOP. Hmm, anyone else think that could happen? I'm sure that's something he really wants back.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM

Earlier this year, the Plaza in downtown Vegas tried holding a series of tournaments, incuding Razz, A-5 lowball, HORSE, etc. That didn't go over too well, although the promotion was incredibly weak and most people don't seem to want to go to the Plaza.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Earlier this year, the Plaza in downtown Vegas tried holding a series of tournaments, incuding Razz, A-5 lowball, HORSE, etc. That didn't go over too well, although the promotion was incredibly weak and most people don't seem to want to go to the Plaza.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not impressed by the Plaza. When we were there in July it was a ghost town in there.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think it's possible a lot of players might do a boycott of the WSOP like they did the WPT ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, none of the top pros have showed up for the WPT this year.

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what would happen if they went to Jack Binion and formed some sort of newer WSOP

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one WSOP, and Harrah's owns it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, anyone else think that could happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever since Harrah's took over they've [censored] the WSOP up. I mean what's the difference if they used 10 tables for a mixed event ? They still get there buy fees, still have to pay a dealer, and there's still 9 players at each table. Anyone think it's possible a lot of players might do a boycott of the WSOP like they did the WPT ? Wonder what would happen if they went to Jack Binion and formed some sort of newer WSOP. Hmm, anyone else think that could happen? I'm sure that's something he really wants back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Binion signed a hefty "non-competitive agreement" and he's still getting paid like a fat oil tycoon of the royalities.

The best bet would be for a pro... someone like Phil to start a new "Super-Series" of poker with $25K minimum buy-ins.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... Anyone think it's possible a lot of players might do a boycott of the WSOP like they did the WPT ? Wonder what would happen if they went to Jack Binion and formed some sort of newer WSOP. Hmm, anyone else think that could happen? I'm sure that's something he really wants back.

[/ QUOTE ]

The so-called WPT boycott was more talk than action. I do not see anything trumping the WSOP. A few may be upset about the lack of variety in the games offered but that won't keep 3000 from entering the first $1500 NL tournament or 8000 from the ME. Jack is a great marketer but neither he nor any pro could sway numbers like that.