Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM

Default 5/10 Party QQ

I hate the way I played this hand. I did not listen to my first instinct throughout the hand as one of my buddies was sweating me and talked me into different plays than I would have normally made. I'm sitting 5/10 NL 6 max and I had been there about 15 min. I have a little over 1k and the villian has about the same. Villian is not particularly good from what I have seen, but I don't really have any specific reads. I am in MP and open to $45 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villian (button) re-raises to $80, All fold and I call.
Flop ($175):
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My first instinct is to lead out for $125 but before I do my friend behind me says "CR?"...I figure this isn't bad and check, Villian bets $100 and I raise to $290. He thinks for 5 seconds and calls.

Turn ($755): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Your move?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Party QQ

Would he reraise with AJ? TT-JJ? Would he overplay AK this hard? Would he fold to a push on the turn if he has KK/AA with a diamond? Would he fold to a push on the turn if he has KK/AA no diamond. These are probably the thoughts that I would run through my head and try and put him on one of these hands. Who knows, he could have the other two ladies.

Without a real solid read on the player I don't mind a push on the turn as its a scary board and can't picture him calling with anything worse than top set.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:37 AM

Stacksizes?

If you have about a pot bet left or a little more, I'd probably push.

As played, I really don't like a CR there. Leading out is much better as you're not creating a huge pot out of position with a vulnerable hand. Check calling then stop-and-go is also an option, but could be very dangerous on this board. As you saw, when the CR gets called, it puts you in a really bad spot and is not worth it in my mind for the 1 extra bet you get out of a nil hand.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 AM

I'll tell how the rest of the hand played out, maybe this will spark some response. After the 10d came off on the turn I was about to push when my buddy said "thats a shitty card, now you don't beat anything". This got me thinking and led me to check. The villian, of course, went all in and I was forced to fold. I played this hand like a complete donk and I can't help but think that I should have just followed my first instinct.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop ($175):
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My first instinct is to lead out for $125 but before I do my friend behind me says "CR?"...I figure this isn't bad and check, Villian bets $100 and I raise to $290. He thinks for 5 seconds and calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget about this hand for a minute. For ANY hand, no matter how trivial, this isn't a winning thought process.

As an exercise, just think right now as if you're playing the hand. Why would you lead the flop -- what purpose would it serve?

Why would you c/r the flop -- what purpose would it serve? what are the dangers? what are the benefits?

Also very important -- no matter which line you chose and justified, how much to bet or raise?

... and I hope when you're thinking of how much to bet/raise here, you're taking the Villain's stack size and your own into account, (which you didn't post. =))

I'm sure you can see why choosing a play arbitrarily based on a whim isn't the best strategy here?

-dB
Old 06-03-2005, 11:53 AM

If you read my first post, I did state stack sizes, I say that I had about 1k and the villian had the same. That aside I am a thinking player and I consider all options before making my decision on any given play. I generize in my posts b/c i do not want them to be novels. The reason I checked the flop is b/c all hands that I would beat such as 1010, AK, AQ AJ, 99 would make a continuation bet if I checked, but would not necessarily call if I bet. Hands that would call if I bet would be mostly hands that had me in bad shape such as KK, AA, JJ. Check raising is the best way to get money in while i'm both ahead and behind, while betting out would only get money in (from my opponent) when I am behind. When the third diamond hits I felt like a push was the best move b/c this puts him on the defensive and makes a nearly impossible call with even aces or kings. If he had the other two queens he has to fold as well. This narrows his range of hands that he can call with to essentially JJ or 1010 or a flush. If I check I am essentially giving him this substantial pot b/c he will move in with most any of these holdings and I cannot call. If we were deeper, then I could play this pot more passively, but when there is as much in the middle as there is left in my stack, I have a real problem just giving up. His flat call of my CR on the flop leads me to believe that he is not in love with his hand. If he had a monster he would have pushed over the top of me right there.