Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: PARTY 10/20 NL. TOP SET VS BBUDDY.

ok, but i still don't see anything in the post re: river bluffs. no worries though, i'm so sleepy right now i;ll just assume i missed it and apologize
Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He used to be pretty notorious for tilting and going nuts in subsequent hands, but I hear he's stopped doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sure that all you who insist on naming such players in their posts bear no responsibility at all for such players changing their play, playing less or moving to sites where you don't regularly play.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:19 PM

I think you played way too weakly.

You have top set and therefore should be trying to win a big pot. He's tilting and crazy, GOOD, but that doesnt mean you [censored] check call. You have to give him a chance to give you his chips. This is also important if you consider the fact that he could have a real hand.

You bet flop he calls, fine. Now the Ace comes down, an important card. I either bet the turn here (a rather weak bet, about 1/2 pot), or I check like you did. But if I check and he bets 180 into a 400 pot, I raise every time. Not a big raise, maybe 200 more, because i want him to reraise obviously. You want him to read your weak checkraise as a hand like AK or AQ that he thinks you will fold to a push.

Finally, if he just calls your turn bet or your min checkraise, you can check the river and hope he moves in. I would probably not do that but thats just me.

I have played a lot with bbuddy and I think your play is bad because you are keeping the pot small. He's not going to bluff big into a small pot, he isnt stupid. There has to be something in there for him to win for him to bet huge on the river.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He used to be pretty notorious for tilting and going nuts in subsequent hands, but I hear he's stopped doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sure that all you who insist on naming such players in their posts bear no responsibility at all for such players changing their play, playing less or moving to sites where you don't regularly play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who plays at 10/20 on Stars/Party knows this guy. Diablo was posting threads about him ages ago.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM

It's an interesting line, but i would lead the turn since he will probably call with a big ace. If he does this, then maybe its a good time to c/r the river, but if he checks behind, the pot has been kept too small for my liking.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im four tabling the 10/20 on party a month ago maybe, bbuddy is on three of my tables... he is losing alot and is really on full blown LAG mode playing every hand. he knows im winning, and i know hes losing... he just lost a pot in a set over set sit. against a weak/passive unimaginative party nit, so im thinking he is PISSED. ok.
i have JJ UTG and raise to 70 (this standard for me and means very little)... mrbuddy calls on the button (fresh 2K), everyone else folds.
flop comes J63r (pot 170)
i bet 125, he calls.
turn comes an A and everything is rainbowed. (pot 420)
i check, he bets 180, i call.
river comes an 8. (pot 780)
i check... (obviously i am moving in if he puts another penny into this pot.)
what do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Checking the river from OOP, when you have a set on a drawless board, after check-calling "scary A" on the turn, against a tilting BBuddy, is very textbook.

On a separate note, did you also consider making a "blocking bet" on the turn, say 250, in hopes he would raise/push?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who plays at 10/20 on Stars/Party knows this guy. Diablo was posting threads about him ages ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that and play in the same games. I'm just making a point I have made before that assuming such players don't read 2+2 and thus possibly modify their too-loose play as a consequence is an unwarranted assumption that can only have -EV results.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 PM

Default thoughts and how it went down...

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably bet the turn and hope he raises you.

[/ QUOTE ]this is where i think i kinda effed this hand up. i figured it was nearly certain he would something in the pot if i checked the turn, where as betting might getting a fold... in retrospect it wouldve prolly been better to bet 220, and hope he came over top.
BTW/ he thought 10 sec and checked behind on the end... he had T3.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: thoughts and how it went down...

weak bet on the turn with a hesitant call of his raise looks awesome to me

then blocking bet the river so he HAS to raise you
Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I bear responsibility? Me saying Buddy used to go nuts and tilt wouldn't make him change his screen name at all. This is information I accquired by railbirding a 5/10 game. It's available to ANYBODY. It's common knowledge between regulars in that game who played in this time period. I'm not giving away some secret of Buddy's, who IS a known player by the way, or some other inside information that would hurt him.

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that and play in the same games. I'm just making a point I have made before that assuming such players don't read 2+2 and thus possibly modify their too-loose play as a consequence is an unwarranted assumption that can only have -EV results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me posting about how Buddy USED to be known for tilting isn't going to drop your winrate, bro. Keyword being KNOWN. Like I said, I didn't reveal some secret of his. And it's not like I made a thread about it. If someone is seeking advice on a hand against a certain player, and a 2+2er knows something about the player, he should be allowed to put it in his reply. If you think otherwise, contact Mat.