Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Straight Flush Draw

A hand from my weekly cash game with good friends.

It was limped around to me. I was in the BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I led out with a $25 bet - about pot sized. Folds around to my buddy who made it $75 to go. I thought for a while and decided that he was on the flush draw. Not wanting him to catch up, and having a pretty good redraw myself I moved in for about $400 more.

He called with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Thoughts on calling your money off with this draw? I don't like doing it, but I've had two guys CALL all in against me with a straight flush draw in one week. I tend to MOVE all in with these draws and put the other guy to the decision - as illustrated with my $400 bet. Thoughts on calling with this?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Straight Flush Draw

Moving in is definitely better, if the stack sizes allow it -- in this hand it doesn't look like they do. After you move in, he should call w/ the very strong draw (as many as 18 outs).
Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM

uhhh, your friend is a favorite to win the hand. why wouldn't he call?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:26 AM

Well it's kind of hard for your buddy to move all-in when you did it first. That being said... he mas a monster draw and is not even in that bad of shape if you have a set or a straight already. So I fully expect people to call with draws like that. And given the range of hands you might have here... seems like he is not incorrect to do so.

Also, if you truly put him on exactly the flush draw you could have waited for a blank on the turn and moved him in with only one card to come.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it's kind of hard for your buddy to move all-in when you did it first. That being said... he mas a monster draw and is not even in that bad of shape if you have a set or a straight already. So I fully expect people to call with draws like that. And given the range of hands you might have here... seems like he is not incorrect to do so.

Also, if you truly put him on exactly the flush draw you could have waited for a blank on the turn and moved him in with only one card to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is in the worst shape with this hand if you have a higher flush draw, other than that he has got to figure he is in really good shape, baring a set or straight, which really isnt all that bad for him. Also, I am a big fan of waiting for the turn to punish the flush draw. If the turn is not a club and you push his decision is a lot tougher and I doubt he calls with anywhere near the regularity that he would on the flop