Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 06:20 PM

Default JJ against the blinds

Playing the UB 10-25, I have about 3k, the SB has around 2k, and the BB has us covered. I've been at the table for three rotations and in my only real involvment so far I raised QQ pre-flop in EP, bet 3/4 pot on a KT9 2-suited flop, and folded to a min raise. (Not thrilled about that one, but that's another story.)

In the current hand limp UTG+1 with black jacks and the table folds around to the blinds who complete and check. The flop comes 2 4 7 with two diamonds, the SB checks and the BB leads $75. I make it $285, the SB folds, and the BB re-raises to $750.

I figured that his re-raise reduces the chance he's on a flush draw, and obviously there are trash BB hands that have me beat. On the other hand, I felt that my earlier fold might make it more likely he'd take a shot at me. What's my line?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: JJ against the blinds

why did you not raise pre-flop? I believe you have to fold here.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 PM

I think he thinks you have a flush draw, given the way you played your hand (limping in), and is trying to move you off it. He's probably thinking any piece of the board he caught is ahead given the relatively raggid flop and he would gladly take it down right there since any pair is extremely volnerable. The highest I play is 2-4 so I may be way out of line.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:31 AM

Since there was no raise preflop, it's quite possible that the blind has two pair here. If he has straight and flush draw you've got a slight edge, but it's not huge. I'd tend to fold.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:37 AM

You have to fold this, villain reeks of 24o.

I would also raise this pf in an attempt to define the hands in play.

I don't mind the flop raise but what was your plan if you were smooth called and a card 3-Q turned and you were checked to? What if he called and then potted it on the blank turn(~600)? What if an A/K turned and he checked? Bet?

I am always wary about bloating the pot with marginal hands, I think that this might be a case where the information that you gain by raising is not worth the price that you have to pay for that information.

-Steve
Old 02-25-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to fold this, villain reeks of 24o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean flopped two pair. There's no reason to think 24 is more likely than 27 or 47. I agree that his play seemed consistent with two pair, though.

[ QUOTE ]
I would also raise this pf in an attempt to define the hands in play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to raise JJ about 80% of the time in that spot. This hand happened to be one of the 20%.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the flop raise but what was your plan if you were smooth called and a card 3-Q turned and you were checked to? What if he called and then potted it on the blank turn(~600)? What if an A/K turned and he checked? Bet?

I am always wary about bloating the pot with marginal hands, I think that this might be a case where the information that you gain by raising is not worth the price that you have to pay for that information.

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really comfortable calling or folding to his flop re-raise, which enforces your point that I wasn't getting enough information from my own flop bet. On the other hand, I think simply calling the flop gives me almost no information and I really wouldn't know how to treat the turn. I don't think folding jacks to his lead bet on the flop can possibly be correct, but what would you do? Simply call him down?