Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2004, 02:02 AM

Default another .50/1.00 NL hand

In my journey up from .25/.50 NL to .50/1.00 NL I find I have a few small to moderate winning sessions and then I run into a play like this

.50/1.00 NL
I’m in the CO with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (stack 80.00)

3 players in MP call
LP raises to 2.00
I call, everyone calls including the button, SB folds

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

checked to LP who bets 2.00
I make a pot size bet of 15.00
The button smooth calls (stack 130.00, weak tight type of player, talks about how much he has won in the previous few days)
everyone else folds

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

the bet is to me

any suggestions before I post the results ?

thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: another .50/1.00 NL hand

You said tight however there are quite a few people in the pot here, if he thinks that someone else will come along after him if he's drawing to flush, he could be doing just that, might have something like A8 of spades.
I probably go all-n here
But from the sound of it, I'm guessing he had a higher set or 67 of spades
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 AM

Bill-

From the tone of your post I fear he flopped a bigger set (or hit with something stupid like A2/67/55), but I think normally you're ahead here, and you should fire again to charge possible spade draws (and for a value bet in general). You have $63 left, there is $50 in the pot, so I'd probably just push it all in. Your stack isn't nearly big enough to worry about getting away from set over set here, IMO.

-muz
Old 02-22-2004, 03:00 AM

thanks,
Pushing it all-in was my first thought but I decided to play it differently
The pot was actually about 45.00
I bet just less than half pot, 20.00
button calls
River 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (no flush!) board is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet 15.00
Button calls

Button has 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

played right, wrong or indifferent ?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 AM

I've always been hung up on decisions like this one myself. If it were me and I knew that the button was a pretty damn tight player, I would probably check it to him and make him show me his hand by the size of his bet. I can't say it's the best idea in the world, but I also can't see any reason in coming after him with a 1/2 pot bet and letting him slowplay a monster or let him stay on his draw with good odds. If you want to bet it, you gotta go all in due to the pot size and the fact that he may be in there on a draw.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:09 AM

Sounds like putting it all in on the turn would have been the right play. Considering that set over set does not occur that often I can see how this would be true.
tks
Old 02-23-2004, 03:44 PM

I don't know your bankroll situation but I can tell you how I did it when I first started playing online with a $50 deposit (I didnt trust the net or these virtual cardrooms for $100 when I first deposited). I would buy in to the $50 games on Paradise for $22 and leave the game when I got to $50-$75. I know it is not the ideal way to play, but if you are short rolled, but want the experience of playing the bigger game, buy in short and the only place to go is up.... After building a roll, start buying in for more and more till you have a nice roll, and you can buy in for and lose the max comfortably. Scared money is worthless at NL, dont play with it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2004, 06:39 PM

Actually that is a strategy that I have been considering for playing the 6-max NL games. I see people do well with it. If you can build the stack up to the usual buy-in it makes playing fearlessly much more natural.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks,
River 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (no flush!) board is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet 15.00
Button calls

Button has 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He just calls the river bet??
If I read this right, you still have almost $30 left and he doesn't try for it?
I think for being in set-over-set situation, you are lucky not to go broke. Good information on this player, and a cheap lesson on the risks of low pairs.
Against most players, I would agree with all-in on turn, but I think you did fine here, and got lucky not to get broke in a bad spot.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:03 AM

where do they offer 6max NL?