Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Internet poker soon to be legal in the United States?

On the Boston Celtics games they have advertising on the side of the court for Party Poker. Now there is no mention of .net or .com. Wonder since it is the building that has the advertising and not the station if it is ok then?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:26 PM

The advertising is a bit more accepted now....but the general point that it is still limited due to the potential legal hassles remains.

The DOJ warned Travel Channel (WPT) and others that airing ads for online-gambling sites could be construed as aiding and abetting an illegal operation.
There are ZERO online-poker ads on the WPT now as a result.
Other places are using their discretion as to whether or not they want to run the partypoker.net sites.

I can guarantee you that there are other teams/arena/stadiums that turned down ads from party or online-gaming.

I'm impressed that it's court-side. So it can be seen on the TV broadcasts then? not bad.

ESPN is very obviously not accepting ads from the online-gambling sites. But the fact that NBC and Fox are starting to definitely shows potential.

Even the partypoker.net ads that ARE running aren't as effective as Party would like them to be.

If they were allowed to they would certainly be hitting hard the aspect that you can play for REAL money and for $7 (or whatever) can win a trip to the World Series of Poker.

Instead....all they can do is use language like 'LEARN to play like the pros'....'this is a great place to TRAIN to be a good player' and stuff like that.

If they had their way they would say "you can win up to $100k for just $100 in our nightly hold-em tournaments. 200 players won trips to Las Vegas and $10k entries to the WSOP on our tournaments." stuff like that.

Without the legal obstacles the advertising would be through the roof. Right now everyone on all sides feels like they need to tread very carefully.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 PM

The local broadcasts of Dallas Mavericks games have Party Poker ads too, but I only saw it once or twice staying at my parents house and couldn't catch if it was .net or .com, but probably .net.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:16 AM

I have seen advertisements for Party Poker on the Discovery channel while watching Orange County Choppers. This was on Comcast. I checked to verify the channel because discovery has a lot of educational shows and such that school age people might watch. They might consider it worth the fine or warning considering the large audience it would get to.

And uh, actually I have played Hold’em on the Yahoo games site. It was a while ago but I looked and I still have my id, it is “dealmein55” – but that was before I knew what “Presto” is.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:18 AM

Yeah, the Party Poker ads are bright and clear while they are up. It runs between the benches probably about 1/3 the length of the court.

Also in Boston, there are tons of radio ads for PartyPoker.net's Boston vs New York tournament on Fox Sports. They are playing off the Red Sox/Yankees rivarly. "From the field to the felt" is the slogan they use.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ESPN is very obviously not accepting ads from the online-gambling sites. But the fact that NBC and Fox are starting to definitely shows potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought that ESPN was running 888.com (Pacific Poker) ads recently.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:29 PM

I played play money games on Yahoo!
There, I am out of this closet
Old 03-13-2005, 12:14 PM

I appreciate that acknowledgement Girchuk - I don't feel so alone now!